Head of People
San Francisco, CA
Think back on your time in school and a project or experience that got you fired up, curious, and motivated to try your best. Can you remember one? If you’re like us, there are some projects we remember decades later -- those times when we were so engaged in what we were doing that we couldn’t help but learn.
Our hope is that Seesaw will help teachers create these moments for every student in the world, every single day. We’re just getting started, but we’re well on the way towards achieving this vision -- Seesaw is used by millions of students in over half the schools in the US and teachers and students love us (Check out this real-time search for what people are saying about us on Twitter).
We’ve just crossed 50 employees, and are looking for a Head of People to help make sure our collaborative, inclusive, and transparent culture continues to thrive as we grow. As Head of People you’ll be responsible for the full employee lifecycle - helping to build the systems and teams so that we find, onboard, develop, and motivate all the people at Seesaw we need to fulfill our mission.
As part of this job, you’ll design and iterate on the essential people processes -- recruiting, comp, benefits, and policies -- ensuring we have well functioning, fair, and transparent systems in place as we grow. However we’re looking for more than that -- we need someone who cares deeply about people and who will help make sure that everyone at Seesaw is happy, healthy, and doing the best work of their careers. This will be a key role on our leadership team, reporting directly to our co-founders.
- Partner with our co-founders and senior leaders to drive our culture forward and solidify our values in everything we do.
- Collaborate with Hiring Managers to develop a comprehensive recruiting strategy to attract a diverse set of candidates across a wide variety of roles. Ensure our recruiting process is efficient, fun, and fair.
- Partner with Marketing to tell the story of why Seesaw is a unique and exciting place to work.
- Implement training and development programs to make sure that Seesaw employees always have the opportunity to learn and grow.
- Coordinate our Diversity and Inclusion programs to make sure employees at Seesaw reflect the wide diversity of the market we serve, and Seesaw continues to be a welcoming and inclusive place to work regardless of background.
- Evaluate and ensure our core HR policies are fair, transparent, and objective -- comp, benefits, equity, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in People Ops field (start up experience and scaling a growing company, a plus), with a track record showing roles of increasing scope and responsibility.
- 2+ years of experience building and managing high performing teams.
- Passion for and knowledge of best practices around diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills so that you can clearly articulate not just the “what” but the “why” of our people policies and approach.
- Logical, systems-oriented expertise designing scalable people programs, using data and systems to inform and support decisions and explain the “why” from first principles.
- Unquestioned integrity with ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with the highest level of discretion and judgment.
- Strong foundations in HR operations including employment law and best practices, industry benchmarks for compensation and benefits, and HR systems and tools.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.