Senior Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Seesaw is a student engagement platform that combines digital portfolios, family engagement, and teacher-created activities to help students do their best work. We are a rapidly growing, revenue generating company; 1 in 2 US schools use Seesaw, in addition to 150 countries worldwide. Millions of students use our powerful web, iOS, and Android creative tools every month to capture their learning.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Seesaw you will work with a small team to influence technical decisions and architect and develop new features on the core platform. You will be expected to take ownership of projects and ideas from concept to production. The ideal candidate will have prior working experience designing and building software as service at scale (millions of users.)
What You'll Own
- Collaborate with engineers and other key stakeholders to design scalable backend systems and APIs to meet their needs
- Lead to completion while working with fellow Engineers, Designers and Product Managers
- Help maintain and evolve our core backend systems developed in Python that interfaces with systems including but not limited to DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis, AWS SQS
- Develop and support our data pipeline and warehouse powered with AWS Athena
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance, and simplicity of our systems
A Little Bit About You
- 5+ years of working experience in a similar role
- Solid CS fundamentals and a strong knowledge of modern web stack, and REST principles
- Hands on experience working on a product with millions of active users, specifically understanding caching techniques, message queues, asynchronous programming (Seesaw uses the Tornado Web Server/Framework)
- Hands on experience developing in Python or other server side programming languages
- Working knowledge with AWS or equivalent cloud computing platforms.
A Little About Us
- We care about building a diverse and inclusive team to better advocate for the needs of our incredibly diverse K-12 users.
- We prioritize work-life balance.
- We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy we take seriously.
- We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) with company match, paid parental leave, flexible vacation policy, wellness stipend, donation match, company happy hours and off-sites.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.