Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA
We're at an exciting inflection point -- in just over a year Seesaw is already being used in 1 out of 4 US schools with a nimble 7 person engineering team - and now we're looking for an experienced engineering manager to help scale our engineering team to make sure we can tackle the next level of growth.
Your job will include day-to-day management of our current engineers, as well as working closely with our founders to grow our engineering team and to establish the culture and processes that will help engineers at Seesaw love their job and be most effective. You'll manage engineers working across our leading iOS, Android, and web applications as well as support our backend systems that handle a global audience of students posting their work every second.
You'll also be involved (with the rest of our leadership team) in prioritizing and scheduling product work and helping to guide overall company strategy.
Successful candidates for this role will have a deep technical background so they can gain the respect of engineers on their team and help guide technical decisions, and a passion for our mission.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or technical related field.
- 7+ years of hands-on engineering work experience on at least one of our key platforms (iOS, Android, web apps, backend systems/AWS).
- 3-5 years of experience directly managing engineers, and at least 1 year of experience managing a team of at least 10 people.
- Track record in working in partnership with recruiting to grow an engineering organization.
- Experience shipping several large scale projects working in conjunction with other teams (marketing, product, support, design, etc.)
Working at Seesaw
- We're a small team, so you'll have a chance to shape many aspects of our product and company, from the experience in the classroom to the infrastructure running our apps.
- In almost every role we’re figuring out how to operate at scale -- whether it’s figuring out our engineering processes or sales approach, you’ll have the opportunity to impact the culture of Seesaw and how the company works.
- We are well funded and have an experienced team. You'll work side by side with creators & leads of some products you know -- Google Calendar, Picasa, Google Groups, Google Maps, Facebook Platform.
- We care about building a diverse and inclusive team and welcome people from all identities, backgrounds, and experiences. The K-12 market represents an incredibly diverse user-base and we want to best advocate for the needs of this community.
- We prioritize an environment that balances work & life. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy we take seriously.
- Our product enables students to learn in new and meaningful ways everyday. At Seesaw, we strive to bring that same enthusiasm for learning to our work.
- We offer comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, free lunch, and 401(k) matching.
At Seesaw, our mission is to create an environment where students can be their best.
For us, this means:
- Empowering students to take ownership of their learning, and to reflect on their progress over time.
- Giving students tools to show what they know in the way that works best for them.
- Inspiring students to try their best by providing an audience for their work beyond the classroom.
- Creating a meaningful home-school connection so parents can better support their child's learning.
We’re just at the beginning of this journey, but already we’re seeing tremendous impact. After our first school year, Seesaw was used in 200,000 classrooms in over 25,000 schools - including 1 in 4 schools in the US. We're at a unique time where our product is clearly working but we're just beginning to scale, and you can be a key part of something big.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.