San Francisco, CA
Think back on your time in school and a project or experience that got you fired up, curious, and motivated to try your best. Can you remember one? If you’re like us, there are some projects we remember decades later -- those times when we were so engaged in what we were doing that we couldn’t help but learn.
Our hope is that Seesaw will help teachers create these moments for every student in the world, every single day. Seesaw has three product areas that work together to inspire student engagement: (1) A powerful suite of creative tools that help unlock students’ voices; (2) a rich library of activity ideas that help every teacher deliver engaging learning experiences; and (3) a digital portfolio that lets students share what they are learning so they can get feedback, collaborate, and feel supported by classmates and their family.
We’re just getting started, but we’re well on the way towards achieving this vision -- Seesaw is used by millions of students in over half the schools in the US and teachers and students love us (Check out this real-time search for what people are saying about us on Twitter).
As a Backend Engineer at Seesaw you will work with a small team to influence technical decisions and architect and develop new features on the core platform. You will be expected to take ownership of projects and ideas from concept to production. The ideal candidate will have prior working experience designing and building software as service at scale (millions of users.)
What you'll own
- Collaborate with engineers and other key stakeholders to scalably design backend systems and apis to meet their needs
- Help maintain and evolve our core backend systems developed in Python that interfaces with systems including but not limited to DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis, AWS SQS
- Develop and support our data pipeline and warehouse powered with AWS Athena
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance, and simplicity of our systems
A little about you
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years of working experience in a similar role
- Solid CS fundamentals and a strong knowledge of modern web stack, and REST principles
- Hands on experience working on a product with millions of active users, specifically understanding caching techniques, message queues, asynchronous programming (Seesaw uses the Tornado Web Server/Framework)
- Hands on experience developing in Python or other server side programming languages
- Working knowledge with AWS or equivalent cloud computing platforms.
A little about us
- We are well funded and have an experienced team. Work with the creators & leads of Google Calendar, Picasa, Maps, Facebook Platform, and Twitter.
- We care about building a diverse and inclusive team to better advocate for the needs of our incredibly diverse K-12 users.
- We prioritize work-life balance and actually walk the walk -- we care a lot about our work, but care more about our friends and family. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy that people actually use.
- We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) with company match, paid parental leave, flexible vacation policy, free lunch, wellness stipend, donation match, company happy hours, and offsites.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.