Senior Full Stack Engineer (React, Node.js) - Remote
United States /
Software Development – Software Engineering /
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services for the federal government. The work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created, which is built around some of the most talented IT professionals in the country. We deliver our work using Agile methodologies to help the government solve their most technically challenging problems. The systems we develop are used to improve the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people and revolutionize the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale.
SemanticBits is a remote-first employer and has been named a Top Workplace in 2021. Our corporate culture is built upon our mission-driven work, to help the government improve healthcare for patients and reduce cost. We value bringing individuals that are experts in their disciplines, highly communicative, and self-motivated to own their work. Technology and domain experts work side-by-side in highly dynamic teams that have all the roles necessary to deliver high quality digital services. In addition, critical to our success is forming teams of highly diverse individuals passionate about making a difference. This diversity and inclusion permeates every level of SemanticBits.
As a government contractor, SemanticBits requires that candidates must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance and show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain a religious or medical exemption.
SemanticBits is looking for a senior level engineer who will work with a cross-functional team to build modern digital health services. This is a critical project that involves implementing highly interactive and modern web interfaces with React that will be used by healthcare providers across the country. The system is backed by Node business services and implemented in a microservices paradigm. Some of these services will be exposed for public consumption and some are used for enterprise integration; the system will support upwards of tens of thousands of concurrent users.
The project is implemented using an Agile, Scrum-based process that includes Sprint Planning/Review/Retrospectives and daily stand-ups. The team uses integrated human-centered design and quality assurance measures to implement highly modern, usable interfaces. This position is open to Senior to Principal level professionals who will bring technical leadership experience to the team.
Tools & Technology:
- Node.js, React
- Jest, Sinon, Enzyme
- New Relic, Splunk
- PostgreSQL, Redshift
- AWS, Docker, Jenkins, Git
- Some exposure to ECS, Fargate, EC2, EKS, RDS, SNS, SQS
- Solve complex engineering problems that contribute to improving healthcare quality
- Work on a small to medium sized Agile team, but as part of a larger multi-team environment
- Work independently on tasks with the opportunity to get input from other engineers as needed
- Collaborate with other engineers to evaluate and identify solutions to complex problems
- Participate in peer reviews of pull requests and provide productive feedback to improve quality of work
- Bachelor's degree required; Computer Science or related field of study preferred
- Minimum 3 years experience developing front-end web user interfaces with React
- Experience with designing RESTful backend microservices and developing them using Node.js
- Experience with build tools like webpack, npm, and gulp/grunt
- Experience with Test-Driven Development using automated testing frameworks such as Jest, Sinon, and Enzyme
- Experience ensuring your code builds and deploys properly through Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment processes built in Jenkins
- Experience with version control tools, such as Git
- Knowledge of modern design patterns and building enterprise-grade production applications
- Ability to work with and coordinate with other developers using digital tools such as Slack
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Candidate must reside in the United States
- Experience with database integration, relational (PostgreSQL) preferred
- Experience with SASS/SCSS or css-in-js type approaches for stylesheets
- Experience with AWS and Docker
- Experience as technical lead of a high performing Scrum team
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Federal Government contracting work experience
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Stipend for work station set up
Four weeks of PTO
Eleven paid holidays
One floating holiday
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
Employer HSA contribution
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Three weeks parental leave
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 for assistance.