Data Architect - Remote
Analytics and Reporting – Data Engineering /
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
SemanticBits is looking for talented data architects to design and build modern, innovative reporting and analytics solutions in the healthcare and life sciences domains. This position is open to a mid-level to principal professional depending on experience.
- Determine database structural requirements by analyzing client operations and systems.
- Create conceptual, logical, and physical database designs using data modeling approaches such as UML, E-R, XML Schema, JSON Schema, and SQL.
- Select appropriate database architecture and technologies - OLTP vs OLAP, relational vs NoSQL, document vs columnar, graph vs triple-store, etc.
- Implement and optimize physical database design to support performance, scaling, security, backup, and disaster recovery requirements.
- Work closely with application developers and data analysts to design and optimize data access, query, reporting, and analysis strategies.
- Provide guidance to the DevOps team for maintaining database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems, calculating optimum values for database parameters, evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases, performing maintenance, and answering user questions.
- Bachelor's degree required, strong preference for Computer Science field of study
- At least 4 years in the data architect role.
- Experience with AWS RDBMS services, such as PostGreSQL RDS and Redshift.
- Experience with NoSQL products, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, and DynamoDB, Elasticsearch.
- Experience with advanced SQL features - regular expressions, analytical functions (e.g. RANK, PARTITION, LEAD, LAG, etc.).
- Must be able to effectively use a query planner and database metrics to analyze and optimize queries, table structure, indices, and partitioning strategies.
- Strong technical communication skills; both written and verbalStrong problem solving and structuring skills.
- Ability to identify and learn applicable new techniques independently as needed.
- Candidate must reside in the United States.
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in the healthcare domain or with healthcare quality data sets is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with other query languages is highly desirable - e.g. XPath, MongoDB query language, Elasticsearch query language, JSON Path, SPARQL, etc.
- Experience with the following technologies is also highly desirable: Tableau, Looker, Hadoop, Spark.
- Federal Government contracting work experience.
- Prior experience working remotely full-time.
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Three weeks of PTO
Ten paid holiday days
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 or HR@semanticbits.com for assistance.