Backend Software Engineer (Node.js) - Remote
Software Development – Software Engineering
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
SemanticBits is seeking a Backend Software Engineer to implement a wide range of REST services in Node.js and databases. You will work in a closely knit Scrum team to solve complex backend problems, such as integrating external services into our services, adding new database structures, and implementing new REST services in Node.js with a focus on security, performance, and scalability. You will dig into business requirements and implement complex logic using modern technologies like Node.js. We believe strongly in test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment, and we have a strong DevOps mindset. This is a remote position, though we do have offices in Herndon, VA and near Baltimore, MD.
- Experience building enterprise-scale backend REST services using an API-first paradigm
- Hands-on experience building services with Node.js
- Intimate knowledge of crafting highly performant database queries using frameworks like Sequelize, knex, or other query builders/ORMs
- Hands-on experience implementing relational database structures, including tables, indexes, views, etc.
- Experience implementing NoSQL databases like MongoDB preferred
- A mindset towards building systems for the cloud and DevOps fundamentals
- Working knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure, such as EC2 and RDS
- Hands-on understanding of virtualization and experience with Docker
- Focus towards building security, performance, and scalability into services from the beginning
Competitive base salary
Three weeks of PTO
Ten paid holiday days
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
Professional development and training reimbursement
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.