Backend Software Engineer (Node.js) - Remote
United States /
Software Development – Software Engineering /
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We deliver using Agile practices to help the government solve their most technically challenging problems. The systems we develop are used to improve the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people and revolutionize the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. SemanticBits is a remote-first employer and has been named a Top Workplace in 2021. As a government contractor, SemanticBits requires that candidates must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance and show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain a religious or medical exemption.
- Ability to work in an existing codebase and collaborate with a diverse team
- Experience in building enterprise-scale backend REST APIs with frameworks such as Express.js, Nest.js using an API-first paradigm
- Intimate knowledge of crafting highly performant database queries using frameworks like Sequelize, Knex.js, or other query builders/ORMs
- Hands-on experience implementing relational database structures, including tables, indexes, views, etc.
- A mindset towards building systems for the cloud and DevOps fundamentals
- Working knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure services such as ECS, Lambda, Kinesis and RDS
- Hands-on understanding of virtualization and experience with Docker
- Focus towards building security, performance, and scalability into services from the beginning
- Experience with debugging code and troubleshooting technical issues in order to craft appropriate solutions
- Candidate must reside in the United States
- Bachelor's degree required, strong preference for Computer Science field of study
- A minimum of 5 years of related professional experience
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Federal Government contracting work experience
- Prior experience working remotely full-time
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Stipend for work station set up
Four weeks of PTO
Eleven paid holidays
One floating holiday
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
Employer HSA contribution
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Three weeks parental leave
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 for assistance.