Senior Data Engineer (Python) - Remote
Analytics and Reporting – Data Engineering /
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
SemanticBits is looking for a talented Data Engineer who is eager to use distributed processing frameworks to prepare big data for the use of data analysts and data scientists. You will deliver data acquisition, transformations, cleansing, conversion, compression, and loading of data into data and analytics models in a repeatable, testable way.
You will work in close partnership with data scientists, software architects, software developers and business analysts to understand use cases, data needs, and outcome objectives. This includes creating new ETL pipelines and supporting existing ETLs.
Expert in data management, data access (big data, data marts, etc.), programming, and data modeling; and familiar with analytic algorithms and applications (like machine learning). This position is open to a mid-level to principal professional depending on experience.
Tools & Technology
- Python, Postgres, Redshift, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Express, AWS EMR, Looker, Mongo, general working with BI tools & AWS resources.
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: object-oriented design and programming, data structures, algorithms, databases
- Demonstrable experience engineering scalable data processing pipelines and clusters
- Demonstrable expertise with Python and Spark and wrangling of various data formats - CSV, XML, JSON.
- Experience with any of the following technologies is highly desirable: Postgres, Redshift, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Node.js, Express, AWS EMR, Looker, Mongo
- Bachelor's degree required, strong preference for Computer Science field of study
- A minimum of 5 years of related professional experience
- Experience with Agile methodology, using test-driven development.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Self-driven problem solver
- Candidate must reside in the United States
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
Nice To Have:
- Experience working in the healthcare industry with PHI/PII
- Federal Government contracting work experience
- Prior experience working remotely full-time
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Three weeks of PTO
Ten paid holiday days
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 or HR@semanticbits.com for assistance.