Senior Data Engineer (Python) - Remote
United States /
Analytics and Reporting – Data Engineering /
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We deliver using Agile practices to help the government solve their most technically challenging problems. The systems we develop are used to improve the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people and revolutionize the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. SemanticBits is a remote-first employer and has been named a Top Workplace in 2021. As a government contractor, SemanticBits requires that candidates must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance and show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain a religious or medical exemption.
SemanticBits is looking for a talented Data Engineer who is eager to apply computer science, software engineering, databases, and distributed/parallel processing frameworks to prepare big data for the use of data analysts and data scientists. If you have experience with Spark and Python and want your work to contribute to systems that collect healthcare data used by hundreds of thousands of daily users, we want to (virtually) meet you!
You will work on projects that support the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as we develop a next-generation analytics and reporting system that directly impacts healthcare quality. You will use Spark to build data processing pipelines that derive information from large sets of government data. You will be the go-to on your team for Spark, the Spark Engine, and the Spark Dataframe API. We are a collaborative company, so we want you to use your knowledge of Spark to teach others, inform design decisions, and debug runtime problems.
Tools & Technology:
- Apache NiFi
- AWS EMR
- Use of BI tools & AWS resources
- Write unit and integration tests for all data processing code
- Work with DevOps engineers on CI, CD, and IaC
- Read specs and translate them into code and design documents
- Perform code reviews and develop processes for improving code quality
- Experience with Agile methodology, using test-driven development.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Candidate must reside in the United States
- Bachelor's degree required, strong preference for Computer Science field of study
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
- Experience working in the healthcare industry with PHI/PII
- Federal Government contracting work experience
- Prior experience working remotely full-time
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Stipend for work station set up
Four weeks of PTO
Eleven paid holidays
One floating holiday
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
Employer HSA contribution
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Three weeks parental leave
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 for assistance.