Software Engineer - Real-time Chat Platform | San Mateo
The engineering team at SendBird is solving some of the biggest challenges related to building reliable, feature-rich, and scalable real-time conversational experiences across different platforms.
The challenges range from building a platform that can scale to some of the largest user-bases across distributed environments with optimal latency; creating a feature-rich yet lightweight and high performance client-side SDK; and building products and services that can help customers incorporate real-time conversational technologies more rapidly.
You will be participating in building the best real-time conversational products and solutions possible. You are expected to learn and expand on your engineering knowledge and experiences to build a world-class product that solves the difficult problems of our customers, and make it as easy as possible for them to harness the power of real-time chat.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Build a global large scale distributed and scalable real-time messaging service
- Design simple, intuitive API to solve complex architectural problems
- Write customer-centric documentation on API and messaging services
- Architect and build efficient servers on our globally distributed infrastructure
- Deploy and operate server clusters within a cloud environment
- Have fun!
WHO YOU ARE
- Proficiency with Python or Java
- 5+ years of experience developing and solving complex engineering problems
- Understanding of multi-threading and high performance distributed architecture
- Able to work independently and drive results
- Ability to find the root cause of problems with a minimal set of information and data points
- Ability to find the optimal solution given resource constraints; understands under-engineering and over-engineering concepts
- Shipping, and maintaining real-time systems is ideal but not a must
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Experience handling massive concurrent connections and processing large-scale traffic
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems
- Proficient with Python, Java, and Event-Driven Frameworks
- Understanding of TCP/IP and network programming
- Understanding of RDBMS, NoSQL and distributed databases
- Experience working on real-time chat/messaging system
- Awards from programming competitions (e.g., ACM ICPC, IOI, etc.)
- Understanding of server virtualization, global infrastructures, load balancing, and handling massive data traffic
- Interest in working for a fast growing global startup
- Pick your new laptop!
- 4 weeks PTO!
- 99.99% Paid Benefits
- 12 US Paid Holidays
- Fun working environment!
- Flexible work schedule
- Opportunity to work for one of the hottest startups on the planet!
SendBird is the world's leading chat & messaging platform as a service. Our mission is to digitize human interactions for businesses. Our platform delivers billions of messages per month to help people connect through the products and apps they love.
We’re a Y Combinator alumnus (W16) and have raised over $120M from leading investors including ICONIQ Capital, Tiger Global Management, Shasta Ventures, August Capital, and FundersClub. We are headquartered in San Mateo, CA (40+ employees) with an Asia-Pacific office in Seoul (50+ employees).