Software Engineer, Backend (remote)
Santa Monica, California /
Who we are
We work at the intersection of deep technology, science and experience design. Sensible is built to help consumers and businesses understand, plan for, and mitigate all types of climate and weather risk, from travel and events to homeownership and energy production. Our first product embeds with travel and outdoor events partners, offering their customers a guarantee against the weather. This means a customer can have confidence that they will have a great time in the sun, otherwise they'll get money back!
We recognize that we're living in a world with more climate disruption than ever before. We also believe that it is one of unprecedented opportunity for solutions.
With rich data from satellites and other developing technologies, we have the right information, engineering and technology to help us relate to our environment with a new kind of awareness and understanding.
Sensible is a team built on trust, feedback, and communication. We recognize that diversity of background, skills, and experiences makes stronger teams, and we are therefore an equal opportunity employer.
What you'll be working on
- Writing, maintaining, and documenting high quality code in Go and Python
- Help us build out customer centric features and intuitive REST APIs
- Contribute to our insurance platform; a highly flexible and scalable system written in Go
- Learn the ins and outs of climate and weather data sets
- Own your code: write it, deploy it, and support it once it goes live
- Participate in and help us create an engineering culture of collaboration: ie. constructive code reviews, proactive knowledge sharing, growth mindset for yourself and others, and a general desire to help your team and help make the company successful.
- Product collaboration and continually keeping the customer and their needs front of mind
- 2 or more years of software engineering experience
- A bachelor's degree in a STEM related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Commitment to the spirit of continuous improvement and a strong desire to learn
- Experience working on high quality web applications (consumer or enterprise)
- Experience with modeling real world concepts as structures in code
- Competency in an imperative language like Python, Node, Go, Java, and/or Rust
- Hands on experience with a SQL database like Postgres or MySQL/MariaDB
- Willing to wear a lot of hats and to help out in areas that might not be within your realm of expertise.
- A focus on delivering customers value
- Git / Github
- Databases: Sql, No-sql
- Observability tools: metrics, logging, tracing
- Working within a cloud based environment, such as AWS
- Kubernetes, Docker
Comfortable with or a strong willingness to learn
- Experience with distributed systems
- Ability to work with different types of APIs (REST / FTP)
- Familiarity with event based architecture: pub/sub, lambda, etc