Senior Java Developer
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Software Solutions - Toronto /
How do you feel about meeting new challenges and becoming an agent of change in the telecommunications industry? You will join an energetic team designing, creating and improving a variety of solutions for our customers. We’re looking for a critical thinker that enjoys playing with new technologies, solving complex problems and confidently brings their unique voice and perspective to the table.
What Problems Will You Be Solving?
- Assisting with our client’s Agile transformation;
- Assessing the current technology landscape and recommending future technology to meet our client's strategic goals;
- Building solutions using cloud native architecture;
- Migrating from monolithic to microservices architecture;
- Helping our clients in developing their DevOps practices using principles such as automation, continuous integration, continuous delivery and proactive monitoring.
What You’ll Do
- Involved in application and infrastructure design from concept through development and implementation;
- Be part of the Agile team and actively participate in all Agile or SCRUM ceremonies;
- Interfacing with the Scrum Master, Product Owner & other developers on the team;
- Ensuring that the code you’ve written functions as designed by creating automated unit and integration tests, which execute in our continuous delivery pipeline;
- Follow and adhere to the quality standards as set out by Sentaca/customer organization;
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship;
- Provide timely and actionable feedback as a part of the peer performance review process;
- Assist Sentaca recruitment by participating in the interview process as a technical interviewer when required;
- Contribute to the Sentaca Knowledge Base by creating, editing and sharing documents and materials about projects, best practices and/or relevant technology as discussed with the Director of Software Solutions;
- Participate in strategy and ideation sessions related to software specific initiatives;
- Participate in industry events as a subject matter expert or in a professional development capacity to keep abreast of industry trends and best practices.
Must Have Skills/Experience
- Java Spring Framework
- Experience with Microservices Architecture
- Demonstrated experience building and consuming Web Services (REST and SOAP)
- Familiar with messaging brokers (eg, RabbitMQ, Kafka)
- OO Design and analysis using Design Patterns
- Relational Databases (MySQL, Postgres or Oracle)
- Experience working with NoSQL DBs (eg. MongoDB, Couchbase)
- Experience working within an Agile team
- Experience with CI/CD Pipeline
- Experience with Docker Containers
- Experience using Linux for deployment
- Exposure to Kubernetes or OpenShift
- Completely fluent in English language both written and verbal at a professional level (this is a client facing role).
- ** Position is a hybrid in GTA **
Nice to Have Skills/Experience
- Exposure to Service Mesh (Istio)
- Familiar with public cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Knowledge of EFK (ElasticSearch, Fluentd, Kibana)
- Knowledge of writing manifests with Helm Charts tools
- Linux Networking
- Competitive Dental and Extended Health Care Plans (with 100% employer-paid premiums);
- Generous number of vacation days;
- Flexible working hours;
- Quarterly Office Socials;
- Quarterly Team Lunches;
- Monthly Lunch n' Learns (knowledge-sharing sessions);
- RRSP Plan (including a company % match);
- And a smart, fun team of people backing you up!
Diversity our Strength
Diversity spans across a range of differences including in experience and opportunity, and if you are unsure about your qualifications for this position, we still want to encourage you to apply. We are looking for candidates who have some experience, but we also know that not everyone has had a chance to demonstrate what they can do. What’s most important is that you have a curious mind, you’re a team player and you enjoy the challenge of a fast-paced environment and learning new technologies quickly.
Sentaca welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Sentaca + IBM
Sentaca is an IBM subsidiary which has been acquired by IBM and will be integrated into the IBM organization. For our current positions Sentaca will be the hiring entity, however, by proceeding with this application you understand that Sentaca will share your personal information with IBM or other IBM subsidiaries involved in your recruitment process, wherever these are located. For more on how Sentaca will use and protect your personal information, please review our policy here. To learn how IBM protects your personal information, including the safeguards in case of cross-border data transfer, details are available here (for a French version of the policy please select the appropriate country and language from the drop-down on the page).
Background Check Required
Please note that due to the nature of the work we do in the telecommunications space, clearing a criminal record check is a condition of employment.