Senior DevOps Engineer
Toronto, Ontario, /
Engineering – Mobility Professional Services - Toronto /
Sentaca has been providing high quality advice, services and solutions to the mobile and telecommunications industry since 2000 and we have firmly established ourselves as a trusted partner to our clients. With our strong mobile services background as our base, we have recently begun building practice areas in the new and exciting areas around software solutions, cloud-based solutions, video and IoT! Come grow with us - we're always looking for individuals who thrive on playing with new technologies and learning about new trends.
How do you feel about meeting new challenges and becoming an agent of change in the telecommunications industry? You will join an energetic team working on supporting and improving a variety of solutions we have developed for our customers. We’re looking for a critical thinker that enjoys playing with new technologies, solving complex problems and confidently brings their unique voice and perspective to the table.
You’ll be working with teams building and releasing software solutions, using cloud native architectures involving container technologies and deployed in secure private/public/hybrid cloud environments - all operating as high-availability, large-scale, critical services within our customer networks.
The DevOps lifecycle is all about agility and automation. Your passion around delivering high quality solutions through continuous optimization and automation will help accelerate the way we (and our clients) develop and deliver code. Your average day will vary but will likely include:
What you’ll do:
- Interfacing with the Project Manager/Scrum Master/Product Owner & other members of the technical team;
- Helping our team and our clients develop their DevOps practices using principles such as automation, continuous integration, continuous delivery and proactive monitoring;
- Designing and developing scripts and tools for continuous integration and continuous deployments;
- Ensuring that the code you’ve written functions as designed by creating automated unit , integration and acceptance tests, which execute in a continuous delivery pipeline;
- Providing thought leadership and mentorship on DevOps best practices and approaches with a focus on ensuring quality outcomes for our clients.
- This position will primarily be remote; however, you may be required to come on-site occasionally to our 180 John Street location and/or to customer sites within the GTA.
What you’ll bring:
- Completely fluent in English language both written and verbal at a professional level (this is a client facing role);
- Extensive experience with Linux administration;
- Deep knowledge in networking and concepts including IPv4/IPv6, TCP/IP, DNS, NAT, VPN, overlay network, subnetting, routing etc.;
- Proven hands-on experience with Kubernetes/OpenShift, specifically creating clusters from scratch and the ability to administer them in private or public cloud environments;
- Experienced in troubleshooting techniques and able to approach issues methodically to resolve issues efficiently;
- Familiar with cloud technologies (public, private and/or hybrid) including Openstack, AWS and GCP;
- Experience deploying microservices using container technologies;
- Experience with automation using scripting languages, such as Perl, Python, Ruby, and/or Bash as well as configuration of infrastructure with code automation (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef);
- Experience with version control software and CI/CD tools, preferably GitLab and Jenkins/GitLab CI;
- Strong understanding of continuous integration/delivery practices and other DevOps concepts;
- Experience with monitoring and reporting frameworks (i.e. ELK, Prometheus, Kiali and/or InfluxDB/Grafana);
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
Nice to Have
- Exposure to Microservices Architecture;
- Experience with using Helm Charts;
- Knowledge of service mesh (e.g. Istio);
- Experience with RESTful web services;
- Familiarity with security tooling, concepts and processes.
- Interesting technical challenges;
- Competitive dental and extended health care plans (with 100% employer-paid premiums);
- Generous number of vacation days;
- Flexible working hours;
- Quarterly office socials;
- Quarterly team lunches;
- Monthly “Lunch n' Learns” (knowledge-sharing sessions);
- RRSP Plan (including a company % match).
Diversity our Strength
Not just the slogan of our beautiful City of Toronto - our small Toronto team of 45 people boasts a diverse mix of team members from over a dozen different countries and a variety of backgrounds and we truly believe that this makes our company stronger.
Diversity spans across a range of differences including in experience and opportunity, and if you are unsure about your qualifications for this position, we still want to encourage you to apply. We are looking for candidates who have some experience, but we also know that not everyone has had a chance to demonstrate what they can do. What’s most important is that you have a curious mind, you’re a team player and you enjoy the challenge of a fast-paced environment and learning new technologies quickly.
Sentaca welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that due to the nature of the work we do in the telecommunications space, clearing a criminal record check is a condition of employment.