Backend Software Engineer
Palo Alto /
The internet is not a safe place. The moderation of abusive and harassing content has long been propped up by keyword filters and pattern matching, but the lion’s share of this work has always fallen to humans. Today, hundreds of thousands of people review the worst content the internet has to offer. Yet even as a multi-billion dollar industry content moderation industry has emerged, millions of people are abused, harassed, and attacked every day, across every digital platform.
At Sentropy, our mission is to make the internet safer. We’re reimagining how communities of any size can use technology to protect and improve the experiences of their users. Powered by cutting-edge machine learning technology and guided by our experience fighting fraud, terrorism, and human trafficking, Sentropy’s platform allows digital communities to gain quick access to data and intelligence that can enable proactive abuse detection and power content discovery to drive deeper user engagement.
Sentropy is a Series A company based in Palo Alto, CA. Our team is backed by a stable of top institutional investors, as well as founders and leaders of Reddit, Riot Games, OpenAI, Twitch, Twitter, and a former head of government. We’re making the most advanced technologies easily accessible to those safeguarding the internet, and we’re looking for people that are passionate about using technology to improve our society.
What you'll be working on
- Designing and creating generalized API services to enable enterprises to securely use our insights on their data
- Building internal tools to drive faster training and improvement of machine learning models
- Dealing with large-scale data using distributed mechanisms to make repeatable data pipelines
- Solid understanding of data structures, advanced algorithms, and distributed systems, including the operational tradeoﬀs of various designs
- 2+ years of industry experience, at either large or small scale, working on backend systems or services
- 4+ years software programming experience in 2‐3 of the following: Python, node.js, Golang, Shell scripting, SQL, Java, C/C++, etc.
- Experience with running large data processing tasks in cloud environments (eg, AWS, Google Cloud)
- Good understanding of 2‐3 of: General build/deployment, GraphQL, Spark, Kafka, PubSub, etc.
- You know the best practices of how to write testable and reusable code
- Hands-on experience with containerization (eg, Docker) and orchestration (eg, Kubernetes) is a plus
- Big plus if you have experience working with machine learning teams, but if not and you’re the right candidate, we’ll teach you along the way
What we offer
- Health care: we offer platinum-level medical, dental, and vision insurance, and cover 99% of premiums for employees and 95% of premiums for dependents
- Generous PTO, sick leave, and parental leave
- Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided every Monday to Friday
- Up to $100 in reimbursement for personal health & wellness expenses each month
- 401(k) plan
- Monthly allowance for employee-sponsored events
- Unlimited access to two fully-stocked micro-kitchens
- On-site showers, car washes, and dry-cleaning pick-ups / drop-offs