UX Designer / Product Designer / UI/UX Designer
Westfield, Indiana /
At SEP, our teams make and deliver products that keep airplanes in the sky, help first responders save lives, and help farmers feed a growing population. Working at SEP means you get to push the boundaries of design, engineering, and software and make a positive difference along the way. We’re big picture thinkers, the kind our clients love to collaborate with.
We are looking for multiple experienced UX designers to focus on end-to-end solutions for our clients. You will be a key member of product ownership teams that build digital products for our clients that range from Fortune 100 companies to scale-ups. Our UX designers work on cross-functional teams defining the detailed experiences of products, creating beautiful interfaces, and solving problems with whatever visual means necessary to meet the needs of our clients and their users.
What You'll Be Doing
Designers in this role rely on human-centered design principles to contribute to a huge variety of problem spaces, from data-heavy back-office tools to consumer-focused mobile apps to complex problems in software for medical devices.
We’re looking for passionate UX designers who know how to serve on their team with detail and clarity to solve complex design problems. This is a consulting role that requires being able to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues on cross-functional product teams. UX Designers work end-to-end in the product development process - getting into the details of design, bringing clarity with visual solutions, pairing with interaction designers, and collaborating with engineers to further develop concepts into working software bringing detailed designs to life. This role expects growing skills in human-centered design processes, product instincts, prototyping, high-fidelity design, design systems, communication skills, technical fluency, pragmatism, empathy, and humility.
In your first month:
- Create detailed design solutions in Figma or Sketch.
- Pair with your cross-functional teams to get detailed designs into working code.
- Evaluate your work with end-users and stakeholders.
In your first year:
- Learn from other designers on your team or within the SEP design community.
- Learn from SEP’s array of design, product, and engineering makers on best in class software design and development.
You will be responsible for:
- Working directly with product ownership teams and clients to build products as a trusted practitioner.
- Creating detailed design solutions through whatever visual means necessary.
- Presenting and articulating design concepts and decisions to team and client.
- Pairing / problem solving with applicable teammates or clients.
- Participating in generative and evaluative research initiatives.
- Collaborating with other designers to give and receive thoughtful feedback on creative work.
- Keeping up to date on industry trends.
- Helping your team, client, and SEP constantly get better.
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years professional design experience focusing on complex software problems.
- A Bachelor's degree in an applicable major.
- A refined aesthetic, the ability to think conceptually, articulate your decisions, and excellent visual and product design skills.
- Proven experience creating high-fidelity designs in Figma, Sketch, InVision, Adobe CS, etc.
- Comfort with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with developers in the presentation layer. (We do not expect you to code, only know what code can do.)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Nice to have:
- Experience building software in Agile and Lean development environments.
- Experience designing for desktop platforms.
- Online portfolio.
- This position is expected to work primarily onsite at our new headquarters in Westfield, IN.
- We believe we do our best work together. We expect work to be done primarily at the office, yet we also know there are times when that doesn't make sense. We understand. Talk with your team and together you’ll figure out how to make it work.
- While not frequent, local or regional travel is likely (post COVID-19 pandemic) to work onsite with clients or conduct research on products.
How We Show Up
Question Everything: We do our best work when we stay curious and push past the obvious. Don’t follow the pack. Respectfully seek to understand why and where. And challenge the status quo.
Be Human: Patience, kindness, humility, and humanity are as much a part of our success formula as our technical minds. Be a human, not a robot. And be kind.
Be Generous: It’s our responsibility to share what we’ve built and invest in the communities around us. Nothing exists alone.
CX+1: A calm in the storm. Confidence when you’ve never done this before. Right beside you when the stakes are high. We care about your success not just making great software, but delivering value and winning together.
Awesome today, Better Tomorrow: Learn, teach, mentor, repeat. Ours is a world of constant change and transformation --- if you’re not learning, you’re becoming obsolete.
Do It Right (Or not at all): We know our clients trust us to make decisions for them that don’t just get them through today, but build platforms for years to come. Shortcuts and “ish” are not for us.
Do your best work & live a life you love:
We obsess about removing the drags and barriers that often undermine talent and drive. We obsessively work to rid barriers of multitasking, bureaucracy, and distractions. And we hold each other accountable to doing our best work and making time to live a life we love.
Invest in each other and the community:
We care about your success—not just making great software, but winning together. And that attitude extends far beyond our employees. Our community involvement initiative puts our goodwill into action across Central Indiana. The SEP Foundation helps those in need overcome the barriers and confines of poverty through engagement activities and grant-making. We also partner with organizations and we provide lots of opportunities to volunteer together.
Founded in 1988, SEP is one of Indiana’s largest product development firms with 150 employees. Our clients span from Fortune 100 to scale-up companies. Whatever the industry, we’re in our happy place when we’re tackling what really matters to the world.
The variety in our work allows our makers to experience new industries, innovations and ways to collaborate. The work environment at SEP is like none other. If you want to learn something new, find a partner and get tinkering! If you're stuck on an experience issue, raise the design bat signal. We've got you. If you need a mental break, talk a walk or grab a bike to think it through. If you need to step away from a screen, grab a box of LEGOs and think through the problem in a different way.
If you are ready to make impactful products with us - reach out - take a look. We want to show (and tell!) you what SEP has to offer, because words can only do so much. If you’re curious, confident, and wired for high stakes, SEP could be for you.
SEP provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you require in order to express an interest in a specific opening by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (317) 843-1640 x2053. Please state your reasonable accommodation request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within SEP will be reviewed at the e-mail address and phone number provided. Thank you for considering SEP for your next career opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. All employment is decided based on qualifications, performance, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.