Senior Interaction Designer/ Senior Product Designer / Senior UX Architect
Westfield, Indiana /
At SEP, our teams make and deliver products that keep airplanes in the sky, help first responders save lives and help farmers feed a growing population. Working at SEP means you get to push the boundaries of design, engineering and software and make a positive difference along the way. We’re big picture thinkers, the kind our clients love to collaborate with.
SEP is hiring interaction designers with deep software product design experience. You will be a key member of product development teams that build digital products for our clients that range from Fortune 100 companies to scale-ups. Our interaction designers apply human-centered design, Lean Product principles, and development methodologies while coaching organizations into leading edge product design and development practices.
What You'll Be Doing
Designers in this role rely on human-centered design principles to contribute to a huge variety of problem spaces, from data-heavy back-office tools to consumer-focused mobile apps to complex problems in software for medical devices.
We’re looking for passionate designers who know how to help define and design a product vision with our clients. This is a consulting role that requires being able to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues on cross-functional product teams. Interaction designers work end to end in the product development process - from research and discovery, flows and diagrams to prototyping and solution testing, to pairing with UX designers and collaborating with engineers. The role expects strong product instincts, excellent communication skills, technical fluency, empathy, humility and an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile, and human-centered design principles.
In your first month:
- Participate / facilitate co-make sessions with your cross-functional team and clients.
- Design solutions and evaluate with stakeholders or end users.
- Work iteratively with your cross-functional product teams to create and refine digital product experiences.
In your first year:
- Learn from and coach other designers on your team or within the SEP design community.
- Contribute to organizational growth by telling stories of impact through blogging, internal events, etc.
- Contribute to the growing design community at SEP.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading design on cross-functional teams to solve big, complex problems from concept to delivery.
- Facilitating experience design and discovery activities during appropriate stages of the project.
- Planning, coordinating, and implementing generative and evaluative research to uncover/understand business stakeholder and user needs.
- Crafting design artifacts to align teams around the broader user experience (conceptual designs/modeling, user flows, systems design, information architecture, and prototypes).
- Articulating your design decisions by presenting work/concepts/ideas to cross-functional team members and clients.
- Applying a systems-thinking mindset within complex problem spaces.
- Advocating, mentoring, and educating on the benefits of design thinking with clients, teammates, and designers.
- Keeping up to date on industry trends.
- Helping your team, client, and SEP constantly get better.
Desired skills & experience:
- 6+ years of professional interaction design experience focusing on complex software problems.
- A Bachelor's degree in an applicable major.
- Experience designing for mobile and web platforms.
- Proven experience in working with tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVIsion, and Adobe CS.
- Experience with user research (generative and evaluative).
- Comfort with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Storytelling - ability to bring others into a broader story and understand how we’ll solve the problem.
- Experience closely collaborating with cross-functional teams to navigate complex decision making.
- Possess a very high level of comfort in working with developers in the presentation layer. (We do not expect you to code, only know what code can do.)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Nice to have:
- Experience building software in Agile and Lean development environments.
- Experience designing for desktop platforms.
- Online portfolio.
What we have to offer:
- Variety of projects in multiple domains/industries in various platforms.
- A community that aids professional development and encourages continued learning with friendly, talented, and effective peers.
- Extensive opportunities to learn and develop yourself.
- 100% employee owned (Employee Stock Ownership Plan).
- Flexible, reasonable work schedules.
- A comprehensive compensation and benefits package (including Medical/Dental/Vision/Life/Disability insurance), and 401(k) with company match.
- This position is expected to work primarily onsite at our new headquarters in Westfield, IN.
- We believe we do our best work together. We expect work to be done primarily at the office, yet we also know there are times when that doesn't make sense. We understand. Talk with your team and together you’ll figure out how to make it work.
- While not frequent, local or regional travel is likely (post COVID-19 pandemic) to work onsite with clients or conduct research on products.
How We Show Up
Question Everything: We do our best work when we stay curious and push past the obvious. Don’t follow the pack. Respectfully seek to understand why and where. And challenge the status quo.
Be Human: Patience, kindness, humility, and humanity are as much a part of our success formula as our technical minds. Be a human, not a robot. And be kind.
Be Generous: It’s our responsibility to share what we’ve built and invest in the communities around us. Nothing exists alone.
CX+1: A calm in the storm. Confidence when you’ve never done this before. Right beside you when the stakes are high. We care about your success not just making great software, but delivering value and winning together.
Awesome today, Better Tomorrow: Learn, teach, mentor, repeat. Ours is a world of constant change and transformation --- if you’re not learning, you’re becoming obsolete.
Do It Right (Or not at all): We know our clients trust us to make decisions for them that don’t just get them through today, but build platforms for years to come. Shortcuts and “ish” are not for us.
Do your best work & live a life you love:
We obsess about removing the drags and barriers that often undermine talent and drive. We obsessively work to rid barriers of multitasking, bureaucracy, and distractions. And we hold each other accountable to doing our best work and making time to live a life we love.
Invest in each other and the community:
We care about your success—not just making great software, but winning together. And that attitude extends far beyond our employees. Our community involvement initiative puts our goodwill into action across Central Indiana. The SEP Foundation helps those in need overcome the barriers and confines of poverty through engagement activities and grant-making. We also partner with organizations and we provide lots of opportunities to volunteer together.
Founded in 1988, SEP is one of Indiana’s largest product development firms with 150 employees. Our clients span from Fortune 100 to scale-up companies. Whatever the industry, we’re in our happy place when we’re tackling what really matters to the world.
The variety in our work allows our makers to experience new industries, innovations and ways to collaborate. The work environment at SEP is like none other. If you want to learn something new, find a partner and get tinkering! If you're stuck on an experience issue, raise the design bat signal. We've got you. If you need a mental break, talk a walk or grab a bike to think it through. If you need to step away from a screen, grab a box of LEGOs and think through the problem in a different way.
If you are ready to make impactful products with us - reach out - take a look. We want to show (and tell!) you what SEP has to offer, because words can only do so much. If you’re curious, confident, and wired for high stakes, SEP could be for you.
SEP provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you require in order to express an interest in a specific opening by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (317) 843-1640 x2053. Please state your reasonable accommodation request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within SEP will be reviewed at the e-mail address and phone number provided. Thank you for considering SEP for your next career opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. All employment is decided based on qualifications, performance, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.