Lead Data Engineer
San Mateo, CA /
Sequoia Consulting Group – Technology /
At Sequoia, we are fueled by a passion to serve our clients and their needs. We are a tech-enabled consulting and services company helping employers unlock the full potential of their workforce.
Sequoia’s clients are innovative, people-first businesses who are shaping the future: the market disruptors, the paradigm shifters, and the leaders that are pushing their industries forward. As a team, we strive every day to make an impact on lives in the workplace. We stay dedicated in our commitment to come through for people who put their trust in us, no matter what.
What Does the Role Entail?
As an integral member of our Business Intelligence and Analytics Team, the Data Engineer will be responsible for the design, architecture, development, implementation, and support of critical enterprise E2E Business Intelligence EDW solutions in MySQL or Snowflake as well as sourcing data from MySQL, Snowflake, Salesforce (SFDC), and other data sources.
You will handle the product's or project’s conception, design initial product specifications and lead scheduling, estimate and secure resources, as well as provide technical guidance to other internal and external teams. You will help train new employees and stay ahead of industry trends and issues.
What You'll Do
- Design conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts
- Design and implement effective database solutions and models to store and retrieve company data
- Examine and identify database structural necessities by evaluating client operations, applications, and programming
- Optimize new and current database systems
- Assess database implementation procedures to ensure they follow internal and external regulations
- Install and organize information systems to guarantee company functionality
- Prepare accurate database design and architecture reports for management and executive teams
- Lead all aspects of the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions
- Monitor the system performance by performing regular tests, fixing, and integrating new features
- Recommend solutions to improve new and existing database systems
Required Skills & Experience
- Advanced working knowledge and ability to write complex SQL queries in MySQL, Snowflake, and Salesforce (SFDC) environments
- Extensive hands-on experience working with SQL and Python for the purposes of data modeling and ETL
- Strong familiarity with Kimball, OLAP, and EDW data design methodologies, especially for healthcare and benefits datasets
- 2+ years’ experience in data modeling and architecting, ETL, data engineering, or BI fields with concentration on data transformations and data modeling
Useful Skills and Experience
- Understanding of various data extraction and transformation techniques
- Working familiarity with Salesforce (SFDC)
- Knowledge of Mulesoft is a bonus
- Familiar with Data Visualization standard methodologies
- Ability to succeed in a dynamic, Agile environment
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills
- Dedication to team goals that include support of live 24/7 production systems
- A consummate collaborator, able to establish good relationships with technical, product, and business owners
- A champion of quality, able to QA and vouch for the integrity of the report output
- Maintaining business partner engagement and setting expectations
- Assessing current processes and recommending changes as needed
- Documenting and communicating technical specifications to ensure that proper and optimized techniques, queries, data standards, and final outputs are understood and incorporated into data and analytics processes
- Participate in business analysis activities to gather required reporting and dashboard requirements
- Translate business requirements into specifications that will be used to implement the required user-friendly environments, reports and dashboards, built from potentially multiple data sources
Sequoia’s Culture – Our most important asset
Passion for service
Caring for others
Focused on relationship building
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Sequoia provides competitive compensation including base salary, performance based bonus programs, and comprehensive benefits package including 401(k) matching and profit sharing programs.