Finance Compliance & Operations Specialist
San Mateo, CA
Sequoia Consulting Group – Finance
At Sequoia, we are fueled by a passion to serve our clients and their needs. Through a blend of guidance, service and technology, we are revolutionizing the way employee benefits, 401(k), insurance and HR are experienced by companies and their people.
Sequoia’s clients are innovative, people-first businesses who are shaping the future: the market disruptors, the paradigm shifters, and the leaders that are pushing their industries forward. As a team, we strive everyday to make an impact on lives in the workplace. We stay dedicated in our commitment to come through for people who put their trust in us, no matter what.
A new opportunity at Sequoia
We’ve come a long way since launching sequoia in May of 2001 with just a benefits services offering, one location and five employees. Now we have offices in 4 US locations, 1 global location and have big plans for the future. Our goal both then and now is to create a truly special company which cares of people and makes a significant positive impact in their lives.
What does the job entail?
The Finance Compliance & Operations Specialist will play a critical role in providing support to the Finance team in the areas of compliance and data management. This includes preparing and managing annual compliance reports, such as 5500 and SOC1 filings. Also, you will play a role in ensuring data integrity in Salesforce and the HRIS systems.
What you will do:
- Manage the information and data collection needed to ensure compliance with all applicable statutes/laws, i.e. 5500 process and reporting
- Liaison between internal business partners and external vendors for timely exchange of accurate information
- Audit Health & Welfare benefit plan enrollment data and filing documents to confirm accuracy
- Educating clients and internal business partners about the 5500’s, process, timelines and other critical components that support successful Health & Welfare filings
- Manage timelines and expectations related to the clients for which we are conducting filings
- Serves as a primary contact for all client related inquires, issues, and decisions on 5500 filings
- Participate in and/or oversee the planning, execution and reporting of the SOC1 audit, including assurance and distribution of the report
- Identify risks and expected SOC1 controls through reviewing and/or preparing process documentation, including process flow diagrams and critical path narratives
- Partner with internal business partners and external auditors to ensure accuracy and timely audit completion
- Works closely with Finance team to ensure integrity of information held in all records, including ADP and Salesforce systems
- Maintain and recommend the Company’s accounting principles, practices, and procedures, and internal controls (implementing, monitoring, enhancing).
- Work independently and within a team on special, nonrecurring, and ongoing projects. Act as project manager for special projects, at the request of team members.
What you will need:
- 3+ years of progressive experience in Finance or Health & Welfare 5500 filing experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Finance / Human Resources
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem-solving and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize workload and perform in a fast-paced environment
- History of successfully implementing/integrating systems, policies and protocols
- Strong computer skills, including high proficiency with Excel
- Hands-on, team player who possesses a can-do attitude
- Self-starter with ambition to see initiatives through
- Attention to detail and thorough with a desire for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work and lead project teams through project management
- Insurance industry and Property & Casualty experience is highly desirable
- Experience with Salesforce is highly desirable
What success looks like in the first 3 months:
- You have taken full ownership of the 5500 program.
- You have learned and understand the SOC1 Audit and become the point of contact.
- You have developed trust and partnership with the client service team.
- You have immersed yourself into the Sequoia culture and understand our Sequoia Fit attributes and core values.
• Passion for service
• Growth oriented
• Caring for others
• Focused on relationship building
• Meaningful & Fun
What can we offer?
Competitive salary + performance-based bonus programs
Great health insurance + wellbeing package
401k retirement savings plan