Network Engineer II - Core Network and Routing
Chicago, IL or Limited Remote (Please Reference List of Open States when Applying) /
Managed Services /
ServerCentral Turing Group provides highly reliable IT infrastructure in secure facilities across North America, Europe, and Asia. Delivering industry-leading service levels on colocation, cloud services, IP connectivity, and managed services, ServerCentral Turing Group is a trusted name to a wide range of global companies seeking highly customized, mission-critical data center solutions.
We are seeking a Network Engineer II with a strong focus on core engineering and operations to join the Core Networking team. This role will be expected to organize, mentor, and work with a small team setting objectives and displaying technical and operational excellence. This individual will be responsible to bring projects to conclusion, including development of operating procedures, training, and required documentation.
This role is responsible for technical decision-making with latitude for independent judgment, thought, and creativity. The successful candidate also plays a crucial role in product research & development, including the design, implementation, and refinement of both new and existing services.
- Interface with customers, vendors, and internal staff. Function as an escalation point for Engineering and other support staff, and provide Level III support for advanced cases. Work will involve multiple geographic locations and time zones; therefore, this role will be assigned shift days and hours in accordance with company needs on a flexible basis.
- Assist with Sales & Pre-Sales engagements including Requests for Proposals, on-site and remote customer presentations, engaging with Senior Executive and Executive customer leadership as needed.
- Provision both core and managed network hardware with close coordination with other internal teams and customers.
- Maintain and upgrade routers, switches, WAN and Transit circuits.
- Monitor task workflow, customer communications and trouble ticket generation / escalation / resolution.
- Create, modify, and improve documentation supporting the Service Desk and Managed Services teams.
- Review reports of backbone circuit, transit provider, and customer routing / switching issues.
- Proactively monitor and troubleshoot the network for stability and performance.
- Maintain and promote our top-quality support and customer satisfaction.
- Adherence to Change Control process and ensuring Compliance requirements are met. Participation in weekly on-call rotation and escalation trees.
- Contribute to marketing efforts through blog submissions, white papers, and high touch customer engagements.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Experience in network troubleshooting/fault isolation, teamwork, and multitasking.
- Minimum of 5 years operational experience (Service Provider or Enterprise IT Campus/Datacenter).
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn, teach, and share knowledge.
- Operational experience with configuration & troubleshooting of cloud and hypervisor networking.
- Typical “internet application” comprehension: HTTP/S, SMTP, DNS, etc.
- Proficiency in common office operating environments and toolsets.
- A track record of industry participation.
Advanced Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Exceptional working knowledge of Juniper JunOS.
- Extensive operational experience with Juniper MX routers, EX/QFX switches, and SRX firewalls.
- Extensive operational experience with internal routing protocols, external routing protocols, and traffic engineering.
- Operational familiarity with datacenter operations including power and cooling issues.
- Deep knowledge of MPLS (L2 and L3) OSPF and BGP including traffic engineering.
- Extensive knowledge of Ethernet switching technologies (legacy and current technologies to include 802.1Q and Clos DCI).
- Familiarity with IOS, along with a proven ability to quickly master new network operating systems.
- Operations experience with AWS advanced networking concepts such as Route Tables, Transit Gateway, and Direct Connect.
- Preferred Experience: Network automation (Ansible, Python).
- Preferred Certifications: Juniper JNCIE-SP, Juniper JNCIE-ENT.
- Preferred Certifications: AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Specialty.
Benefits: Paid PTO/Vacation time, RTA and CTA Transit Benefits, 401k with employer match, free employee colocation or cloud account, Bring Your Own Device Policy, Life Insurance/Long Term Disability, Health Insurance with HRA, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, and a fun and casual work environment.
SCTG is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. SCTG is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.