Service Desk Technician I - 1st Shift
Chicago, IL or Limited Remote (Please Reference List of Open States when Applying) /
Service Desk /
At ServerCentral Turing Group (SCTG), we enable and transform businesses using technology. As a Managed Services Partner (MSP) we become one of our customers’ most trusted advisors for technology and innovation. We bring 20+ years of enterprise IT (Information Technology) experience to every engagement —experience covering data centers, colocation, private cloud, public cloud, software development, DevOps consulting, network services and many more aspects of enterprise IT.
SCTG understands what it takes to deliver success, and to fulfill this vision, the Service Desk is taking a journey. The Service Desk at SCTG is a team with breadth and depth of skill, across multiple platforms and technologies. Our team members are focused on availability and uptime of our products and customers, and they regularly dive into issues to grow our repository of knowledge and skill. Our customers are internal and external, and we believe in delivering exceptional experiences to them.
To become a successful member of the Service Desk, you will have a diverse skill set, primarily focusing on networking infrastructure, Data Center operations, and cloud administration, and you're able to triage, administer, and remediate issues for internal and external customers. The Service Desk is a launching point into the rest of the organization, where we will provide opportunities for training and growth, setting you up for success, and helping you deepen your skills so that you can become a valuable member of other teams as you grow with SCTG.
Members of this team are tasked with providing support and troubleshooting efforts for all ServerCentral customers across a diverse product set including Managed Services, Cloud Services, Colocation, and Telco, while adhering to established policies, Change Control procedures, and Service Level Agreements or Objectives. You are expected to bring projects to conclusion, take part in on-going improvement of operating procedures, instruction, training, and documentation efforts.
First Shift is currently between 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM Central Time. Rotations currently consist of Sun – Weds & Weds – Sat. Times and Rotations are subject to change.
- Respond to customer trouble reports and requests via telephone and ticketing systems, using experience and judgment to escalate problems as needed.
- Provision customer interfaces and managed network hardware with close coordination with the customer.
- Perform updates and changes to customer Public Cloud Infrastructure.
- Execution and completion of customer requests for the Managed Services product set including, but not limited to:
- Private & Enterprise Cloud
- Backup & Restore
- Patch Management
- Load Balancers
- Advanced Monitoring
- Monitor task workflow, customer communications, and ticket generation / escalation / resolution.
- Review reports of backbone circuit, transit provider, and customer routing / switching issues.
- Work with team members across multiple geographic locations and time zones to ensure thorough completion of tasks.
- Proactively monitor and troubleshoot the ServerCentral network for stability and performance.
- Respond to alerts from managed customer infrastructure.
- Maintain and promote ServerCentral’s top-quality support and customer satisfaction.
- Create, modify, and improve documentation supporting the Service Desk and internal teams.
- Participate in ongoing projects as needed.
- Participate in continued professional development and training as new products & services are launched.
- Adherence to Change Control process and escalation procedures.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by manager
Employees in this role will be assigned shift days and hours in accordance with company needs, subject to change.
- Experience in network troubleshooting, fault isolation, teamwork, and multi-tasking.
- Operational experience with network port configuration, troubleshooting network traffic flow & port status, cloud and hypervisor networking.
- Typical “internet application” comprehension: HTTP/S, SMTP, DNS, ping, traceroute, mtr, SSH, RDP, etc.
- Operational experience with common server operating systems including current Windows Server, CentOS/Red Hat and Ubuntu distributions.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn, teach, and share knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Operational experience with monitoring and ticketing systems such as Nagios, Zabbix, LogicMonitor, AWS CloudWatch, Grafana, Jira Service Desk, and ServiceNOW.
- Familiarity and understanding of Juniper JUNOS or Cisco IOS including port/VLAN tagging, configuring gateways, and log parsing.
- Firewall and Load Balancer experience are major pluses.
- Experience with NAT, hairpin NAT, IPsec tunnels, and moderately complex routing scenarios are preferred.
- Minimum of 1-year Data Center operational experience (Service Provider, Enterprise IT or Campus Datacenter).
- Familiarity and base understanding of VMware virtualization including VM manipulation, standard & distributed virtual switching, vCenter operation, alarm and event correlation, and basic shared storage comprehension.
- Operational experience with Storage Array Networking with an emphasis on iSCSI preferred.
- Operational experience with AWS / Azure administration preferred.
Benefits: Paid PTO/Vacation time, RTA and CTA Transit Benefits, 401k with employer match, free employee colocation or cloud account, Bring Your Own Device Policy, Life Insurance/Long Term Disability, Health Insurance with HRA, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, and a fun and casual work environment.
SCTG is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. SCTG is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.