Senior Software Engineer, Open Source tools
We are Serverless Inc, the creators of the popular and synonymous open source framework for building Serverless applications.
Our Mission is to 'Empower developers to build more and manage less'. We envision a world where software developers can harness the power of the cloud quickly and easily to effect business outcomes. Cloud infrastructure is now a commodity and we strongly believe that we are at the dawn of a new era. An era in which Cloud service abstractions will continue to creep up the stack and fundamentally change how software is thought about and built. And we don't see this as a trend, we see this as a movement. A movement as transformative as the cloud in itself !
As we embark on the next chapter of realizing this vision, we are looking for seasoned developers to join our team. Our tight knit team is comprised of user focused, product minded technologists who are low on drama and high on performance. We are distributed by location but united in our purpose. We value accountability and fully own our successes and failures. Most importantly, we believe that people do their best work when empowered. If you are on a journey to find a team that crafts ingenious cutting edge solutions while having fun together, we are your destination.
As an Engineer focused on Open Source tools, you will be responsible for using creative thinking & raw innovation to drive the future evolution of the Serverless Framework, Serverless Components and other Open Source efforts. You’ll be working on software projects at different stages of maturity and mould them into compelling user-facing products with an engaged and active developer community
You’ll be directly responsible for
- Identifying tooling needs and opportunities by engaging with our open source community
- Designing and building best in class Serverless application development tools
- Maintaining and nurturing a cohesive architecture on rapidly expanding and evolving projects
- Implementing simple, extensible integration strategies with 3rd party Serverless technologies and services
- Relentlessly focusing on offering simple and powerful development experience across our tools-
To excel in this role, you MUST be able to good at
- Looking beyond symptoms to assess and comprehend the core problems developers are trying to solve
- Understanding the impact of breaking changes on software users
- Building incremental solutions that are backward compatible
- Presenting complex ideas and approaches in simple communicable terms across engineering and management levels
- Proposing solution alternatives, analyzing tradeoffs and making high impact product and engineering decisions
- Balancing short-term execution with longer-term concerns such as extensibility
- Rapidly Iterating on solutions and continuously delivering software with automated unit/integration tests
- Collaborating to fellow engineers and embodying development best practices
- Demonstrating flexibility and efficiency working with remote teams
- Minimum 5 years experience in developing and supporting enterprise grade developer tools
- Expertise with cloud architectures based on public cloud services
- Keen eye for developer user experience
- Working knowledge of networking concepts, protocols and security (TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, NTP, DNS, TLS etc)
- Working knowledge of shell scripting and continuous delivery practices
- Strong background in contributing to open source projects and an Intimate understanding of their intricacies and challenges
- Strong programming fundamentals and ability to produce high quality code
- Comfort with dynamic startup environments where change is constant and there is a need to be largely self-guided on complex problems
- Comfort working with multiple programming languages in a polyglot environment
- Attention to detail and a high degree of individual ownership
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
If you are excited by the aforementioned responsibilities and meet the above qualifications, send us your resume and LinkedIn profile along with a note on why you think you are a good fit for this role. We are committed to providing all applicants a timely response.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.