Senior Platform Engineer
We are Serverless Inc, the creators of the popular and synonymous open source framework for building Serverless applications.
In 2015, we created a project called the Serverless Framework. Our mission was to make serverless development easy. A community rallied behind the project, contributing to the open source core, offering their opinions, insights, and sharing their passion. Today, the Serverless Framework is the de facto standard for serverless application development and deployment, managing nearly one million deployments per month.
As the adoption of serverless has grown, so too have the needs of today’s serverless teams. In addition to tooling that simplifies the development of serverless applications, these teams need tools to simplify collaboration, operations, integrations and much more. To address these user needs we recently launched the Serverless Framework Enterprise.
As we embark on our next chapter, we are looking for seasoned developers to join our team. Our tight knit team is comprised of user focused, product minded technologists who are low on drama and high on performance. We are distributed by location but united in our purpose. We value accountability and fully own our successes and failures. Most importantly, we believe that people do their best work when empowered. If you are on a journey to find a team that crafts ingenious cutting edge solutions while having fun together, we are your destination.
As a Platform Engineer at Serverless, you will be building large scale micro-service architectures and distributed data pipelines to support the backend needs of compelling user facing products. These needs go beyond functionality and encompass performance, reliability and cost-effectiveness at web scale. You will be responsible for maintaining and nurturing a cohesive architecture on a rapidly expanding and evolving project. In addition, you will be managing and operating infrastructure and services running on multiple data centers worldwide. Most importantly, you will have end to end engineering ownership - Ideation, Development, Release, Production support and Enhancements.
Our ideal person is someone who has extensive experience building high throughput, low latency APIs and has operated distributed systems to offer stringent SLAs at scale. Someone who can quickly prototype functionality but also knows how to make services production-ready. You have the ability to adopt new technologies with ease and are comfortable being on-call as needed to support what you build.
To excel in this role, you MUST be good at
- Presenting complex ideas and approaches in simple communicable terms across engineering and management levels
- Proposing solution alternatives, analyzing tradeoffs and making high impact product and engineering decisions
- Independently solving complex problems as well as collaborating with other engineers on team initiatives
- Evaluating and incorporating open source software into Serverless’ technical architecture
- Rapidly Iterating on solutions and continuously delivering software with automated unit/integration tests
- Collaborating to fellow engineers and embodying development best practices
- Demonstrating flexibility and efficiency working with remote teams
- Working with multiple programming languages in a polyglot environment
- Minimum 4-6 years experience developing production-grade backends, APIs and data pipelines
- Expertise in designing and architecting distributed systems that operate at web-scale
- Background in cloud-centric technical architectures involving load balancers, distributed caches and eventually consistent databases
- Ops automation experience with multi-region public cloud deployments, preferably AWS
- Strong grasp of horizontal and vertical concerns of micro services such as discovery, rate limiting and monitoring
- Experience being on-call to support live production software
- Working knowledge of shell scripting, Continuous integration and delivery
- Good understanding of foundational networking concepts, protocols and security (TCP/IP, DNS, TLS etc)
- Strong programming fundamentals and ability to produce high quality, tested code
- Working knowledge of Go is a plus
- Comfort with dynamic startup environments where change is constant and there is a need to be largely self-guided
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
If you are excited by the aforementioned responsibilities and meet the above qualifications, send us your resume and LinkedIn profile along with a note on why you think you are a good fit for this role. We are committed to providing all applicants a timely response.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.