Senior/Principal Engineer, Distributed Systems
We are Serverless Inc, the creators of the popular and synonymous open source framework for building Serverless applications.
Our Mission is to 'Empower developers to build more and manage less'. We envision a world where software developers can harness the power of the cloud quickly and easily to effect business outcomes. Cloud infrastructure is now a commodity and we strongly believe that we are at the dawn of a new era. An era in which Cloud service abstractions will continue to creep up the stack and fundamentally change how software is thought about and built. We don't see this as a trend, we see this as a movement. A movement as transformative as the cloud in itself!
As we embark on the next chapter of realizing this vision, we are looking for seasoned developers to join our team. Our tight knit team is comprised of user focused, product minded technologists who are low on drama and high on performance. We value accountability and fully own our successes and failures. We are distributed by location but united in our purpose. Most importantly, we believe that people do their best work when empowered with autonomy. If you are on a journey to find a team that crafts ingenious cutting edge solutions while having fun together, we are your destination.
- Crafting raw software projects into compelling user-facing products
- Continuously innovating and challenging the status quo of micro-service architectures
- Pushing the envelope on distributed messaging, secure event processing and low-latency replication
- Maintaining and nurturing a cohesive architecture on a rapidly expanding and evolving project
- Designing and developing for performance, reliability and cost-effectiveness at web scale
- Balancing short-term execution with longer-term concerns
- Proposing solution alternatives, analyzing tradeoffs and making high impact product and engineering decisions
- Independently working on complex problems as well as collaborating with other engineers on team initiatives
- Managing large scale infrastructure running on multiple data centers worldwide
- Evaluating and incorporating open source software into Serverless’ technical architecture
- Building greenfield products working closely with product and growth teams
- Embodying and executing development and continuous delivery best practices
- Working with multiple programming languages in a polyglot environment
- Presenting complex ideas and approaches in simple communicable terms across engineering and management levels
- Demonstrating flexibility and efficiency working with remote teams
- Sharing and spreading your expertise through contributions to our blog
- 5-8 years experience designing and developing server components and APIs
- Deep expertise in large scale distributed systems - messaging, search, data stores, streaming pipelines or processing frameworks
- Expert knowledge of networking concepts, protocols and security (TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, NTP, DNS, TLS etc)
- Operational experience with web-scale infrastructure on Public cloud deployments (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure etc)
- Background in technical architectures involving reverse proxies, distributed caches, web accelerators and eventually consistent NoSQL databases
- Strong grasp of horizontal and vertical concerns of micro service architectures - Service discovery, Circuit breaking, Policy enforcement, Secret management, Telemetry etc.
- Working knowledge of shell scripting, Continuous integration and delivery
- Strong programming fundamentals and ability to produce high quality code
- Comfort with dynamic startup environments where change is constant and there is a need to be largely self-guided
- Mastery with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Experience with Go is a plus
- Experience as a contributor to open source projects is a plus
If you are excited by the aforementioned responsibilities and meet the above qualifications, send us your resume and LinkedIn profile along with a note on why you think you are a good fit for this role. We are committed to providing all applicants a timely response.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.