Software Engineering Manager
Product & Engineering – Engineering
We are on a mission to create a home maintenance service so simple to use that homeowners can just forget about it. We've built an exceptional team and have raised money from top-notch investors to make our vision a reality for homeowners of the world. The opportunity to take on a big role and have huge impact is very real. Our culture is collaborative, focused, and transparent.
We are looking for a smart and ambitious Software Engineering Manager to help us build out our vision for cities of the future. Reporting to the CTO, the Software Engineering Manager will lead a team of Developers to pioneer and execute on initiatives designed to move the needle on key business goals via innovative solutions and highly-scalable, performant code. You are a passionate leader and a hands-on Software Engineer who can coach and guide a team to ensure the team creates effective code for the future self and believes in continuous improvement of your team’s work. This is a hands on position. The Software Engineering Manager will be expected to be 50% hands on in development needs while wearing the leadership hat. You’ll partner with colleagues in design and product management to help in the development of a fast-growing product that is reshaping the way people interact with their urban environment. We’re a high impact team with an ambitious mission and are looking for high caliber people to join us!
- Be accountable for the delivery of engineering solutions across all layers of our tech stack - from implementing SQL optimizations one day to contributing to the UX / UI of our React Native app another day.
- Lead technical discussions to help us decide how, and with which technologies, to solve complex problems.
- Help make Setter a technology industry leader by upholding the highest standards for integrity and quality, while keeping pragmatism in mind.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
- You have a strong sense of ownership and a curiosity to learn and understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise
- Experience with building product features and infrastructure improvements where the impact is measured through A/B Testing
- You care about Agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and disciplined experimentation
- You focus on customer happiness and see technologies (i.e. programming languages, frameworks, databases, etc.) as a means to an end
- You have strong communication skills, both spoken and written
- Experience running A/B tests to optimize the growth of a product
- ReactJS and React Native are your bread and butter
- You lead by example: you’re comfortable working in the trenches in order to deliver innovative and great code
- You are passionate about application scalability, availability, reliability, and security
- You are interested in furthering your experience in building and maintaining complex software systems
- You think outside of the box and have your ear to the ground on the latest technology
- You have experience participating in hiring and building out a successful team: full-time employees, contractors, and interns
- You are a team player who looks out for the group’s best interest, and keeps their ego in check
- You are comfortable rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty
- You will champion the code review process, encourage ongoing learning and writing clean, testable code
- You have experience leading a team in an Agile software development environment
YOU WILL WOW US IF YOU HAVE
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related experience
- 5+ years of hands on development experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a small to medium-sized team
- Experience with API design and implementation, specifically with NodeJS and Restful API
- Hands on programming experience in both ReactJS and React Native
- Experience working in a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) environment
- Experience working in an Agile environment and instilling Agile processes
YOU WILL REALLY WOW US IF YOU HAVE
- Experience with NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, Looker
While focusing on doing the right thing, we embrace an atmosphere of creativity, belonging, and fun. At our core we're passionate, overachieving team players who believe in: Gumption, focus, and nurture. Together we are building the cities of the future.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
If this role doesn't quite meet everything you are looking for that's okay! Sign up to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.