Business Operations – Finance
We are on a mission to create a home maintenance service so simple to use that homeowners can just forget about it. We've built an exceptional team and have raised money from top-notch investors to make our vision a reality for homeowners of the world. The opportunity to take on a big role and have huge impact is very real. Our culture is collaborative, focused, and transparent.
We’re on the hunt for a self-directed and experienced Controller to oversee all financial and accounting activities here at Setter. The successful candidate will be responsible for activities like budget management, payroll, forecasting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and financial reporting. This is a fantastic opportunity for a professional who thrives in a startup culture where things change quickly and frequently, but you can find the happy balance between scrappy entrepreneurialism and being super detail-oriented and process-driven.
You’ll be a key business partner and can expect to support the leadership team with information vital to decision-making processes, assessing accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement, and helping to plan, direct, and coordinate many finance and accounting operational functions. You should have solid communication skills, be highly analytical, and take initiative to solve problems proactively.
As a Controller, you will be responsible for:
- Assisting the leadership team in making decisions through world-class reporting and financial discipline
- Managing payments to vendors and payments from clients through implemented software
- Leading budget development for various departments on a quarterly basis to ensure accurate forecasting, and generating variance analyses to compare with actuals
- Completing month-end reconciliations and generating financial statements for several entities/subsidiaries
- Managing bank account cash balances for different subsidiaries and determining future cash needs to keep our accounts well-funded
- Assisting with regulatory reporting, including tax planning, filings and compliance
- Preparing and paying annual EHT filing, quarterly HST filing, and SRED filing
- Managing the payroll process for employees
What you'll bring to the team:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- 3-5 years experience in a financial management, accounting, or analyst role
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to break down financial data to various business partners
- Impeccable analytical and organizational skills
- A startup mindset - the ability to move fast in the face of uncertainty
- Intense ownership - you're never comfortable passing something off as "someone else's problem"
- An accounting designation or an equivalent combination of related experience and education is a bonus
While focusing on doing the right thing, we embrace an atmosphere of creativity, belonging, and fun. At our core we're passionate, overachieving team players who believe in: Gumption, focus, and nurture. Together we are building the cities of the future.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. At Setter we believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and believe this is the position that will make you excited to come into work everyday, then we want to hear from you!
If this role doesn't quite meet everything you are looking for that's okay! Sign up to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.