General Manager, Toronto
Business Operations – General Management
We are on a mission to create a home maintenance service so simple to use that homeowners can just forget about it. We've built an exceptional team and have raised money from top-notch investors to make our vision a reality for homeowners of the world. The opportunity to take on a big role and have huge impact is very real. Our culture is collaborative, focused, and transparent.
The General Manager (GM) position is a senior and critical role at Setter; it requires a unique combination of smarts, leadership and grit. As GM for Setter Toronto, you will have complete ownership of the ambitious growth and sustainable development of our Toronto business and people. Specific areas of oversight include: demand generation, customer success, field operations, pricing & quoting, vendor growth and retention, regulatory compliance, and P&L.
As CEO of your city, you will:
- Lead, build, and coach a fast-growing team towards ambitious P&L goals
- ++Co-develop ambitious but achievable P&L goals for Toronto; develop detailed 3, 6, and 12-month execution roadmap to achieve goals
- ++Plan and execute hiring according to projected growth and bottom line targets
- ++Execute growth campaigns, and optimize through rigorous analysis of data
- ++Execute retention campaigns, and optimize through rigorous analysis of data
- ++Be a process wizard and drive the team to peak operational efficiency
- Build our supply base of exceptional Pros by sourcing, retaining, and monitoring service vendors to provide reliable 5-Star experiences to homeowners
- Take ownership to build Setter’s reputation in Toronto
- ++With the broad community, by representing Setter at local events and with PR
- ++With our homeowners:By developing and relentlessly executing creative initiatives to deliver exceptional (we call it WOW) service!By ensuring that Setter is available and as responsive as possible (we are a service business and have the opportunity and responsibility to support homeowners at their times of need)
- ++With our people, by leading from the floor by rolling up your sleeves and take action with team by responding to tickets and visiting homes
- Be the bridge between HQ (as a supporting resource) and market
- ++Help scale our other cities through testing, developing, and sharing best practices
- ++Gather and prioritize product, marketing, and other improvement support requests; build relationships with functional leaders at HQ and facilitate development of relationships between relevant team members and those functional leaders
What you bring to the table
- 6+ years of total work experience in marketplace startups, operations management, management consulting -- 3+ years of which are general management or similar experience
- Grit, and willingness to roll up your sleeves to tackle something hands-on; you persevere when others fall away
- Intense ownership - we provide a service, and sometimes when homeowners are in need; you will own reliability metrics and ensure the team lives up to them
- Exceptional project management skills - you can break down an initiative into actionable chunks and ensure that it gets done
- Strong people management skills - you can set the tone for your team; driving towards results while also being empathetic to their challenges - EQ is a must-have
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written; you can make smart partnerships happen, simplify complex ideas into actionable chunks, and inspire the people around you, in person and in the pressData-driven decision mentality and sound business judgment through strong analytical thinking
- Creative solutions-driven mindset
- Entrepreneurial DNA
- MBA is a plus
While focusing on doing the right thing, we embrace an atmosphere of creativity, belonging, and fun. At our core we're passionate, overachieving team players who believe in: Gumption, focus, and nurture. Together we are building the cities of the future.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
If this role doesn't quite meet everything you are looking for that's okay! Sign up to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team.