Senior Vice President of Engineering
Engineering – Engineering /
Seven Bridges is the leading biomedical data analysis company, specializing in software and data analytics to drive public and private healthcare research. Our end-to-end bioinformatics solutions empower our global customer base to get the most from their private biomedical data, while also leveraging unprecedented access to public datasets and the largest bioinformatics tool sets available.
The SVP Engineering will report to the Chief Technology Officer, working to help the company become more profitable, produce high-quality goods and services and meet its production goals.
The SVP of Engineering will manage a 100+ person technical organization (majority of which reside in Belgrade and Novi Sad) with oversight of Architecture, Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, and Cloud Cost Control. The SVP will ensure our products are developed with a high degree of quality and seek to optimize the organization’s processes and procedures to enhance overall productivity levels. This individual will work closely with our CTO to develop and execute upon our long range strategic roadmap that creates and supports external cloud-based customer products and services. The SVP will also have financial reporting (budget) and resource planning responsibility for their organization and ensure mission-critical operational initiatives are executed in a timely manner. He/she will interact extensively with the Seven Bridges executive management team. Some domestic and international travel may be required once the pandemic is safely behind us.
The strongest candidates will have significant working experience at a mid to large size organization bringing an emerging technology related to SAAS, PAAS, IAAS end-to-end, workflow-based processing or analytic platforms to market. They will be a highly motivated individual that is able to multitask while maintaining disciplined organization across many initiatives across all aspects of the operations. They will also have strong people and oral/written communication skills, able to exert operational controls while maintaining a positive environment of collaboration and growth.
Qualifications - professional experience and education
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience running a large Engineering organization at VP level or above.
- Minimum 10 years of technical management experience in Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in technical field.
- Demonstrable experience leading positive change within an Engineering organization.
- Experience working within global organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively with people across multiple sites/time zones.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Process Management or a related field.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration highly preferred.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communications skills, teamwork skills.
- Strong command of English language (read, write, speak, understand). Ability to speak Serbian a major plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with cloud technologies. Familiarity with various cloud offerings and their applicability. Knowledge of multi-cloud concepts.
- Seasoned leader with a proven track record of building a collaborative and highly engaged culture with leaders and teams, significant experience in assessing talent needs, and managing performance with a high sense of accountability.
- Experience with design and architecture of large distributed systems.
- Familiarity with various technology stacks: especially Java, Python, Go.
- Familiarity with front-end technologies: especially Angular.
- Knowledge of CI/CD concepts, tooling and deployment strategies.
- Ability to translate Business value into actionable tactical plans.
- Ability to analyze, define and track key metrics and implement organizational and operational changes efficiently.
- Strong analytical skills, decision making abilities.
- Strong people, leadership and cross cultural skills.
- Strong financial acumen and budgeting skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills with ability to address business critical issues proactively.
- Strong influencing skills to drive win-win outcomes inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to manage and motivate individuals and provide constructive feedback as required.
- Knowledge of bio sciences is highly desirable.
- Leads the engineering and architecture implementation plans for new products and features, as well as the enhancement of existing products and features.
- Works cross-functionally with multiple internal partners to ensure alignment on future engineering direction and timelines.
- Leads a large and highly technical team of Full time employees, leaders and contractors. Partners with Product and Technology teams to implement roadmaps and scorecards for aligned planning, tracking, analyzing and reporting.
- Responsible for capital and operational budgets.
- Ensure design standards and technology documentation are maintained.
- Ensure high technical competence of the engineering and architecture is maintained and developed.
- Ability to anticipate problems and devise creative solutions.
- Track and monitor project risks, issues, and incidents.
- Proactively provide recommendations and corrective actions to the executive leadership team on project prioritization, timelines, budget, resourcing, and risk/issue resolution.
- Foster strong relationships and work collaboratively with Business, Scientific and Ops leadership.
- Builds strategies to ensure operational effectiveness of the team, including establishing overall direction, needed future capabilities to support execution.
- Strengthen and provide leadership to the talent base within the engineering organization, creating opportunities for growth and development of the engineering team.
- Ensure test capabilities are aligned to program and product needs and ensure cost effective and schedule effective utilization of assets.
- Continuously seek opportunities to optimize/reduce our cloud-based costs.
If you would like to work with us to build the next generation of tools to enable research and discovery, please submit your resume.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.