UPN DevOps Engineer
Unified Patient Network – Infrastructure /
At Seven Bridges we are building the most advanced cloud computing platform for genomics data analysis. Our team and product enable scientists to analyze genomic data faster and more efficiently than ever, so they can focus on making progress in genomics and personalized medicine.
We are expanding our industry-leading bioinformatics ecosystem and partnering with other industry leaders to create the Unified Patient Network (UPN) -- an unprecedented network of health systems, patients, and biopharmaceutical companies -- to leverage population-scale, whole genome-driven research and discovery to dramatically accelerate and advance precision medicine.
Do you want to help us engineer a healthier tomorrow, together?
The successful candidate will be a core member of our Technical Operations team focused on cloud infrastructure development, systems architecture, and operations management. We seek an experienced and driven DevOps Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer who has a strong technical aptitude, work ethic, and ability to succeed in a dynamic, fast-moving environment. This position also affords an opportunity to deepen your cloud DevOps and platform engineering skills - all while supporting and developing data management and analytics solutions for some of the largest integrated clinico-genomic datasets in the world.
The role involves cloud infrastructure engineering, operational deployment and management, and optimization work for Seven Bridges’ exciting new initiative focused on population-scale clinical genomics. Working collaboratively with Product and Engineering leadership teams, the candidate will bring a strong background in cloud DevOps and continuous integration / continuous development (CI/CD) (especially in an AWS-focused environment), TerraForm or related infrastructure-as-code management tools, and at-scale platform architecture and operations experience. Ideally, we seek a candidate with experience in a healthcare, biopharmaceutical, or other regulated industry setting.
What you will be doing:
- Partner with Software Engineers, Data Scientists, Product Managers, and Data Operations staff to build, deploy and manage cloud-based tools and platforms for a large-scale clinical genomics program and data-driven research applications.
- Design, implement and optimize DevOps and CI/CD pipelines and tooling to support software product development.
- Implement and oversee the operational management of cloud-based applications and platform solutions.
- Collaborate with Information Security and Compliance colleagues to design, deliver and monitor highly secure systems that must comply with regulatory and compliance requirements (i.e. HIPAA, FedRAMP, 21 CFR Part 11, and SOC2 / SOC3 standards).
- Evaluate and integrate novel technologies, design patterns, and tools into the team’s daily work and deliverables.
- Build and maintain a culture of collaboration and “customer service” with partnered internal teams and external collaborators.
- Solve and manage day-to-day cloud infrastructure and operational issues.
- Build and lead a “culture of continuous improvement” with regards to cloud operations, information security, and solutions delivery.
Do you have what it takes?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a technical engineering discipline.
- 4+ years working as a DevOps Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure / Systems Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer.
- 2+ years of cloud platform / systems operations experience (i.e. production deployment and operational support).
- Proven experience in cloud automation, deployment, operational monitoring and production support.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced “startup” organization, preferably in an Agile / Scrum engineering environment.
- Experience building cloud-based solutions and managing cloud infrastructure in a regulated healthcare data environment (HIPAA/CMS in healthcare and/or GxP/FDA in life sciences or biopharma).
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- 4+ years of direct working experience with cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS platforms and services.
- 2+ years of direct working experience with infrastructure-as-code configuration / operational management tools, with a strong preference for TerraForm expertise and / or container technologies.
- Strong working knowledge of AWS managed services and ‘serverless’ architectures (S3, AWS managed database services, Lambda, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of Python, GitHub (or similar) and JSON.
- Working knowledge of network security and architecture (Virtual Private Networks, Virtual Private Clouds, network firewall configuration, etc.)
- Facility with Jira, Confluence and related Agile Scrum tools and ticketing systems.
- Strong working knowledge of Bash and shell scripting.