Principal Data Engineer
Technology – Engineering /
At Seven Bridges we are building the most advanced cloud computing platform for genomics data analysis. Our team and product enable scientists to analyze genomic data faster and more efficiently than ever, so they can focus on making progress in genomics and personalized medicine. Through our collaboration with the largest genomics projects, we connect the world’s biomedical information to enable the most efficient analysis at scale. We are a global company with offices in the US, UK, Serbia and Turkey, with roughly 300 employees and building out our engineering team here in the US!
Do you want to help us engineer a healthier tomorrow, together?
As a member of our Engineering team, you will have the opportunity to extend our platform, build innovative tools and products, and be involved in designing new and custom solutions. You will have the opportunity to extend our platform and be involved in building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and various ‘big data’ technologies.
In this role, you will use your experience in cloud native data centric technologies and will be working on the latest big data, cloud technologies, and development methodologies involving cloud computing, NoSQL databases, security, encryption, data movement in order to help us leverage data to deliver critical capabilities. You will be working as a member of a new scrum team based in Boston, MA and will collaborate closely with our development teams in Europe. This position can also be remote or hybrid.
What you'll be doing;
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our science teams, business users, product team and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions.
- Mentor and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities
- Establish frameworks for quickly rolling out new data analysis for standalone data-driven products and micro-services
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of, and ability to operationalize, scalable web services applications with industry standards and best practices.
- Experience with professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
- Partner end-to-end with Architects, Product Managers and Data Engineers to understand customer requirements and design prototypes and bring ideas to production
- Work with other Engineers in planning, prioritizing and executing assigned tasks within deadlines.
- Have 10+ years of relevant experience in data engineering
- Experience with relational and non-relational databasesExperience with SQL
- Experience in the design, optimization and support of big data ecosystems
- Experience with Python and/or Java programming languages
- Experience working with Amazon Redshift, Amazon Athena, Amazon EMR, Google BigQuery, Snowflake or related technologies
- Experience using RCFile, Apache ORC and/or Apache Parquet
- Experience with cloud service providers like AWS, GCP, Azure...
- Experience with schema design and dimensional data modelingAbility to design, build, and maintain the ETL pipeline and data warehouse
- Writes unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, and documents work
- We develop real products. You need to be an expert in design, coding and scriptingYou must have worked with modern data storage, messaging, and processing tools and demonstrated experience designing and coding in big-data components.
- We are and need other self-starters who can see the big picture and prioritize their work to make the largest impact on the business and customers vision and requirements
- Strong demonstration of developing modern web applications (designing modern REST-based APIs, 3rd party integration, Web UI interactions, etc.).
- Extensive experience with cloud computing technologies. Must have a proven track record in consuming AWS or GCP or similar public cloud environments.
- Experience with build automation technologies like Maven, Gradle, Jenkins, etc.
- Expert knowledge of functional, imperative and object-oriented languages and methodologies
- Experienced in CI/CD, Cloud DevOps, and operationalized distributed and highly scalable & available cloud applications.
- Has designed, delivered and operationalized scalable microservices-based web/ web service applications in cloud-native environments.
- Understands security threats and patterns comprehensively and ensures adherence to all regulatory initiatives, HIPAA, PHI, PII, locational & contractual data restrictions.
- Experience with infrastructure automation technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Vagrant, etc.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies preferably SAFe.
- We prioritize professional industry experience; advanced degrees alone do not replace real-world experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
What is in Seven Bridges’ DNA?
Our Mission: Seven Bridges will significantly decrease the time, cost and risk to bring new precision medicine products to market by maximizing the productivity of bio pharma/tech research and development organizations in; formulation, productization, identification, success and optimization.
Our Values: These represent who we are and what we stand for. We pride ourselves on being true to our values in everything we do. Building successful partnerships, acting with a sense of urgency, making scientists happy, acting with integrity, treating data with respect, committed to excellence and working together
Our team and culture: With backgrounds in genomics, computer science and computational biology to sales and finance our talented team is passionate about building solutions to the most challenging problems of precision medicine. We believe that teamwork makes the dream work! By acting with empathy, supporting each other and learning from our challenges we exemplify commitment to quality results faster.
Our perks: We offer challenging career opportunities, employer paid health insurance, 33 days of PTO, retirement options and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance. Uncapped earnings potential, opportunity to join both as a key player in an exciting and high growth potential space, as well as a sales team early on with room for growth and expansion of responsibilities
Enough about us, let’s talk about you!
If you have gotten this far and are looking for the right balance of teamwork, challenge, fun and would like to help push genomics forward please send us your resume and a cover letter. If your qualifications fit the profile we are looking for we will contact you in a timely manner.