Passionate Rust Software Developer
Engineering – Developers /
Who we are
ShakaCode is a global software consultancy specializing in Ruby on Rails, React, Rust, and ReScript. Founded in 2011 by Justin Gordon, creator of the open-source react_on_rails gem, ShakaCode's culture is quality code. Companies hire ShakaCode because of our in-depth technical knowledge, demonstrated by our projects and open-source software. We're not one of those agencies that rush a ton of features for a low fixed price! Our Recent Work page showcases ShakaCode projects. We also help many companies using our flagship React on Rails open source, often with performance improvements and frontend architectural expertise.
Besides consulting, our team is working on building HiChee.com, with demonstrated love (over 250K likes) from travelers on our TikTok @hi.chee channel.
If you're not sure if you want to apply, have any questions, or we're slow to get back to you, feel free to reach out to the founder Justin Gordon via email or on our Slack Channel.
Applications in English only -- the position is 100% remote.
Do you love to code? Have you ever written code for personal projects? Have you contributed to or created any open source projects? If so, let's talk!
What we are looking for:
- Demonstrated passion for coding. For you, coding is not just a job. It's something you love to do.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and remotely
- Excellent written English skills. Can you name variables, modules, functions, etc., well? Written communication is more important than verbal communication.
Experience in one or more of the following, or a demonstrated software development excellence and deep desire to learn:
- Postgresql, especially in terms of how to optimize it.
- ReScript (formerly known as ReasonML).
Nice to have
Optional and valued
- Experience working in a consulting firm and interacting with clients.
- You've shipped live products where you led the development of notable features.
- Comfortable with startup environments where changes can happen quickly.
- Experience using profiling tools to analyze and improve performance issues.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals.
- You can take mock designs from Figma (or some other design tool) and turn them into code.
Team and culture
- We value developer happiness! Justin, the CEO, is a lifelong passionate programmer. We believe that happy developers are the most productive. We'd love to unleash all of your creativity. We have a genuinely flexible schedule, and we listen to feedback. Plus, we have realistic deadlines that value quality design and code. We're using ReScript (ReasonML) and Rust for some newer work as some of our developers love those two languages.
- We're excited, really excited, about our internal product HiChee.com! With the world opening up again to travel, our ability to analyze the data across the Internet has a huge potential to shape the future of how travelers book vacations. No other similar travel platform exists.
- We value open source. Most ShakaCode's clients came via open-source, especially React on Rails. These clients are often CTOs and founders that value quality code more than rushing.
- We’re transparent internally. We all know what everyone’s working on, how’s the company doing, how many hours each person spent on each task, etc.
- We've created a solid consulting track record over the past three years. Check out ShakaCode's Recent Work page and our reviews. All of these listed projects are referencable, and most have continuing work for us.
- We want to create products that genuinely help people. Our React on Rails and other open-source projects are widely used for more efficient software development. Our HiChee.com product analyzes the web for information to enable travelers to find the best deals.
- We value competence! Engineering-focused companies hire ShakaCode to help their projects succeed. With every project, we also learn and share best practices with the community and our clients. If you like doing things the right way, ShakaCode fits your style.
- We're in control of our future. Without any outside investors and a stable source of consulting revenue, we've been free to experiment on different products.
- Our regular weekly flow consists of a 30-minute team get-together at the beginning of the week. Then we have tasks, usually defined in Clubhouse. At the end of every week, team members fill out a short survey of how their week went, and then they meet for a 20 minute 1:1 with Justin, the CEO. We don't do daily scrum standup meetings. Instead, at the start of each day, we use an online form to indicate our goals for the day.
- Let us know that you're interested in joining us. We're happy to answer any questions, so you don't waste time applying if we're not a good fit for each other. See below for how to get in touch.
- Based on your answers, we may offer to meet you on Zoom first.
- We might offer you an online coding challenge. If that goes well, we'll have a zoom call to go over your coding challenge answers.
- After that, you may have an opportunity to meet other team members.
What we're offering
- 100% remote position
- 100% flexible schedule as we're mainly asynchronous
- Learning from highly skilled teammates
- Work on projects valuing quality engineering