UI/UX Designer, Contract
San Francisco, CA
Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We’re looking for a talented UI / UX Designer to help us deliver intuitive, productive, and satisfying experiences with our products for the people using them.
You’ll work closely with the product team to understand user requirements and support the overall vision for our product ecosystem. Success in the role will be determined by your ability to collaborate with product area leaders in a low-ego environment and unlock progress on multiple projects. We’ll look to you to drive product initiatives forward with user experience scenarios, process flows, design architecture diagrams, wireframes and high-fidelity prototypes.
You will base your design strategies on the insights of real users and data and turn these insights into beautifully designed experiences across our products and emerging platforms. You’ll help us solve complex, nuanced problems with simple solutions which allow our users to succeed.
You are a strong cross-functional partner, great communicator, and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You're equally skilled at building on the ideas, vision and direction of others. You demand high quality work from yourself and those around you and have a strong appreciation for the details. Most importantly, you approach problems holistically and create elegantly simple, user centric solutions to multi-faceted problems.
This is a 3-6month opportunity based out of our San Francisco HQ. We ask that designers are able to join us in the office a few times during the project as we work in highly collaborative project teams. Project may include travel for design research and field testing.
- Problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how to build iteratively.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Work closely with engineering to ensure high-quality implementation of features and interactions Lead and participate in user research and testing to validate hypotheses and ensure product usability and consistency.
- Underpin your design work with user experience scenarios, process flows and design architecture diagrams.
- Care about a data driven approach but equally able to act on subtle qualitative insights.
- Biased toward action and execution. You get nervous if you’re not sketching concepts, prototyping ideas, tweaking flows or polishing pixel perfect mockups.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates experience designing the UX/UI of a mobile first experience (web and/or app) that has shipped.
- 4+ years of product design and prototyping experience at varying levels of fidelity from sketches through wireframes and visual mockups.
- Excellent written communication, presentation and storytelling skills.
- Fluency in digital design tools such as Sketch and/or Figma as well as interactive prototyping tools such as Principle, After Effects, and Invision.
- An understanding of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and UIKit, Google’s Material Design, and general mobile design patterns
- You like building things and have experience with digital fabrication tools
- You have experience working on an augmented reality product or experience