Manufacturing Software Test Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We're looking for a talented manufacturing test engineer to build the tools and systems that will enable us to ensure the highest possible product quality. You'll be responsible for designing and building test rigs for characterizing Origin on the production line, improving test systems for efficiency and reliability and managing data visualization/reporting. You’ll interface closely with our manufacturers as well as the Shaper electrical, mechanical, and software engineers. You should be comfortable writing software that integrates with mechanical test fixtures, debugging electromechanical systems, and managing contract manufacturers. We don’t expect expertise in all these areas, but the ability to learn quickly and work cooperatively is a must. Plus, you get to play with power tools!
- Writing scripts and software for automating tests, programming, updates, unit tracking, and calibration
- Working closely with our manufacturing partners to deploy repeatable tests, and to help debug hardware and software issues on the assembly line
- Writing excellent documentation and keeping our codebase and hardware design repositories organized and manageable
- Optimize existing tests to reduce test times, increase reliability and reporting metrics
- Analyze factory data and work closely with the engineering team to identify patterns and correlations
- Getting your hands dirty in the physical world, and figuring out what performance characteristics really matter when the rubber hits the road (or the router hits the wood)
- Experience with object-oriented python programming, mongoDB (or similar NoSQL Databases), linux system administration, network deployment and management, bash/python scripting, and git-based version control systems
- Experience managing a contract manufacturer to implement new test processes, fixtures
- Previous experience performing hardware test and validation in a production environment
- Comfortable working with and managing contractors and contract manufacturers
- Be comfortable being self-directed and creating your own objectives
- Work well within a multidisciplinary team where we encourage constructive criticism
- Be excited to explore an entirely new field and develop products that real users will depend on!
- Robotics experience (electromechanical systems, motion control paradigms, calibration)
- You’ve shipped a product
- You have experience deploying autonomous monitoring and control systems for manufacturing and test processes
- You love building things!