San Francisco, CA /
Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We’re looking for a talented UI/UX Designer to help us create intuitive, productive, and satisfying interactions between our products and the people using them.
You’ll work closely with the product team to understand user requirements and support the overall vision for our product ecosystem. Success in the role will be determined by your ability to collaborate with product area leaders in a low-ego environment and unlock progress on multiple projects. We’ll look to you to drive product initiatives forward with user experience scenarios, process flows, design architecture diagrams, wireframes and high-fidelity prototypes.
You will base your design strategies on the insights of real users and data and turn these insights into beautifully designed experiences across our products and emerging platforms. You’ll help us solve complex, nuanced problems with simple solutions which allow our users to succeed.
You are a strong cross-functional partner, great communicator, and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You're equally skilled at building on the ideas, vision and direction of others. You demand high quality work from yourself and those around you and have a strong appreciation for the details. Most importantly, you approach problems holistically and create elegantly simple, user centric solutions to multi-faceted problems.
- Problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how to build iteratively.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Lead and participate in user research and testing to validate hypotheses and ensure product usability and consistency.
- Underpin your design work with user experience scenarios, process flows and design architecture diagrams.
- Refine and build on Shaper’s design system and create consistent user interactions using a scalable component based approach.
- Advocate for design by sharing your work and presenting cross-functionally, while being able to precisely articulate design rationale.
- Inspire the entire team by bringing new ideas to the table with powerful visualisations that communicate your vision.
- Care about a data driven approach but equally able to act on subtle qualitative insights.
- Support product owners to realise their vision whilst contributing your own ideas.
- Work closely with engineering to ensure accurate, high quality feature implementation.
- Biased toward action and execution. You get nervous if you’re not sketching concepts, prototyping ideas, tweaking flows or polishing pixel perfect mockups.
- A stunning portfolio which speaks to the challenges that your designs have addressed.
- 4+ years of experience working in UI/UX related fields with experience working on multiple platforms including a hardware product with embedded software.
- A sound understanding of AR/VR, real-time and/or motion graphics workflows and Haptic experience design.
- Excellent written communication, presentation and storytelling skills.
- Able to understand the business impact of design decisions.
- Highly proficient in design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite and Figma.
- Highly proficient with interactive prototyping tools such as Framer, Principle, Origami, Invision Studio, etc.
- An understanding of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and UIKit, Google’s Material Design, and general mobile design patterns.
- Experience working on an augmented reality product or experience.
- You like building things and have experience with digital fabrication tools.