Mechanical Engineer - Intern
San Francisco, CA
Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We're looking for an eager Mechanical Engineering intern to join us for 10-12 weeks over Summer 2020 at our San Francisco HQ.
You’ll work with Shaper’s HW team on a variety of tasks including new product prototyping, reliability and performance testing and more!
At Shaper, interns are given real deliverables that impact our ability to manufacture and design new products - all interns are expected to contribute to our company’s success in the same way we expect our full-time employees to.
- Work directly with with the Mechanical Engineering team on design and development of new ideas and prototypes
- Work with the product performance team to conduct experiments and run tests to analyze and improve product performance
- Design and build fixtures to facilitate reliability and factory testing
- Are actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field of study
- Have a strong understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles and an intuition for good engineering design
- Have experience building 3D CAD models (Solidworks, CREO, etc)
- Have some experience with creating and releasing 2D drawings and a basic understanding of GD&T principles
- Have worked with rapid prototyping tools (3D printing, laser cutting, milling, turning, etc) Have a basic understanding of mass manufacturing methods for common materials used in consumer products
- Have working knowledge of data analysis tools (such as MATLAB, R, Python, etc)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Are excited to explore an entirely new field and develop products that real users will depend on!
- You have built a CNC machine!
- You (as an individual or part of a group) have designed and built a product from idea to final prototype
- You love working on robots
Sharing a portfolio/website that reflects past work and projects is a huge plus.