Backend Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Shaper is developing a revolutionary line of computer-augmented power tools, starting with a handheld CNC router called Origin. We’re looking for a skilled Backend Developer to join the Web team to help lead future development of our backend APIs and supporting infrastructure.
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and developing our node.js based APIs that support Origin and our online services such as ShaperHub. You should be comfortable being the primary owner of our APIs and be able to work with teams such as product & design to spec and implement new features and functionality. You should be able to effectively communicate technical challenges and be able to work with others to translate requirements into clear endpoints for services and products to consume. In this role, you should be comfortable working with various database technologies and be able to effectively design schemas and storage patterns to support our customer’s needs throughout the world.
As a backend developer you should have awareness of cloud providers such as AWS or Google Cloud and be able to work with dev-ops contractors to ensure our infrastructure continues to develop to support our needs.
- Maintain and improve our existing Node.js APIs that support our current products.
- Work with other teams to design, plan, and develop new APIs and services that will power ShaperHub, Shaper Origin, and future products.
- Maintain and improve our databases.
- Write unit & integration tests to ensure high code quality.
- Document your code and keep it organized and manageable.
- Work with contractors on the development of our cloud infrastructure.
- Well-versed in building and deploying web services in a production environment
- Have at least 4 years of experience working with backend services and APIs
- Have prior experience working and managing database technologies in production
- Comfortable being the primary owner of a codebase
- Have previous experience with cloud providers such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Are skilled at problem-solving and debugging
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Are excited to explore an entirely new field and develop products that real users will depend on!
- Worked on products with multi-language & currency needs
- You like building things with your hands
- Flexible Vacation
- Generous coverage for medical, dental, and vision plans
- 401k plan with percentage match
- Commuter benefits
- Access to a fully stocked workshop to make whatever you like!