San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Hardware Engineering (Mechanical) /
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, with offices in Stuttgart, Germany, Shaper was founded in 2012 with a mission of making precision cutting easy and accessible to craftspeople everywhere. In pursuit of that goal, Shaper developed Origin, the world's first handheld CNC router. Today, Shaper supports thousands of woodworkers and craftspeople around the globe with an expanding range of hardware and software tools that are designed to intuitively meet users' creative needs.
We’re looking for an exceptional Manufacturing Engineer with 3 or more years of experience to join our Hardware Engineering Team.
About this role
You will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining manufacturing processes across all our hardware product lines in our global supply chain. You will identify opportunities to optimize existing processes and work to implement improvements at our component suppliers and at final assembly sites. You will work closely with our Hardware and Software Engineering teams to root cause manufacturing issues and implement corrective actions with our manufacturers. You will create and implement quality processes with relevant documentation and work closely with in-region quality engineers to ensure they are followed. In close collaboration with Product Design Engineering and suppliers, you will modify designs of existing components to ensure they are sustainably manufacturable for the lifetime of the products.
Where You'll Work
You’ll join our team in our new workspace in San Francisco's SoMa district. You’ll have access to our 5000 square foot workshop which is fully kitted out with all the woodworking machinery you could ever wish for (including Origin). This role will be on-site at our San Francisco office, but is flexible - you can work from home on days when, for example, you don’t need to interact with hardware/fixtures at the office. You’ll work with your manager on identifying when you are required on-site.
- Design and implement manufacturing and assembly processes for new products and optimize existing processes to increase efficiency, reduce cost, and ensure quality.
- Work closely with Product Design Engineering to ensure manufacturability and assembly efficiency of new product designs.
- Modify production stage designs when necessary to optimize for manufacturability/cost or to address issues seen in the field.
- Develop and maintain process and quality documentation (CDML, Cpk templates, process flow diagrams, SOPs, etc.)
- Troubleshoot manufacturing issues and track, quantify, prioritize them and then work with the appropriate parties (Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturers etc.) and our manufacturers to implement corrective actions.
- Work closely with contract manufacturers and component suppliers to track and improve their output, traveling onsite when necessary.
- Work with Operations and Product Design Engineering to evaluate and validate new suppliers and manufacturers to expand and diversify Shaper’s supply chain.
- Own the development, supplier and process qualification, and quality for all of Shaper’s fiducial markers in existing and future products (i.e. Shaper Tape and other fiducial markers)
- Work closely with other departments to ensure product and process compliance to consumer product standards (CEE etc.)
- 3+ years of industry experience working as a manufacturing engineer or similar
- Bachelor or Masters degree in an applicable engineering field (Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering etc.)
- Are a hands-on engineer with a passion for debugging complex hardware problems
- Are a solution-oriented go-getter with a strong bias toward action
- Are experienced working with a variety of manufacturing processes (injection molding, machining, sheet metal, printing, casting, extrusions, etc.)
- Have brought complex electro-mechanical products from prototype to mass production and shipped to customers
- Experience working with overseas contract manufacturers and component suppliers
- Experience evaluating production line performance metrics such as yield, cycle time, etc.
- Experience evaluating measurement and quality systems (GR&R, etc.)
- Experience working with PDM, and PLM systems
- Experience using CAD (CREO Parametric preferred) to generate manufacturable components
- Knowledge of GD&T practices
- Knowledge of statistics and Six Sigma techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What we offer:
- Take what you need vacation and sick leave policy
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee and dependents
- Generous parental leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Employee discounts on Shaper’s products and our partner brands
- Base: $100-$135K
- Range is base pay only and does not include potential annual performance bonus nor benefit value
- Total comp may be higher or lower depending on experience level and location (if remote)
Although we do our best to list everything we are looking for in a candidate, we are very likely missing skills and/or attributes that could make you a great fit for the role. Research has shown that women and other marginalized groups are less likely to apply if they don’t clearly meet every requirement. This means we both might miss out on a great opportunity—it never hurts to take a chance and apply!