Machine Learning Engineer
Seattle, WA or Remote /
Data Science /
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting for food retailers like grocery stores, restaurants, and cafes across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste which in turn drives profit for retailers, lowers costs for consumers, and reduces the negative ecological and social impacts of waste.
Shelf Engine is looking for Machine Learning Engineers to join our growing team. In this role, you will work flexibly with a wide range of methods, tools, and technologies to own and solve problems end-to-end. You will delight in supporting and upholding high engineering standards to bring consistency to the team in developing the codebases and assisting with incorporating new models and methods into our complex system. You will apply your skills in translating business problems into machine learning solutions, alongside your skills in code and productionalization to prototype, launch, and iterate innovative new solutions from end-to-end; including querying, EDA, modeling, visualization, validation, experimentation, and planning for future builds. Overall, you will build, launch, monitor, and develop sophisticated algorithms and solutions to solve complex problems for a rapidly evolving product with our growing business use cases and complexities. The goal is to help Shelf Engine develop and productionalize best-in-class machine learning models at-scale to achieve business objectives. If you have a passion for solving complex problems, working collaboratively with an awesome set of data scientists and engineers, and making a huge social impact, this may be your dream job.
As a Machine Learning Engineer at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Build, launch, and iterate on advanced machine learning models to solve complex problems on big data
- Work cross-functionally (e.g. Product, Engineering, Operations, etc) to frame business problems algorithmically and within the business context, identifying high impact opportunities, risks, and solutions to drive customer adoption and revenue growth
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of our data science capabilities and framework by upholding and improving upon testing, engineering, production code quality, and software quality as it supports data science’s abilities to launch new models and methods
- Improve the accuracy of predictive models, build simple and complex pipelines for feature development, training, evaluation, and model deployment
- Own the end-to-end experience with data, including querying, EDA, modeling visualization, validation, experimentation, and planning for future builds working collaboratively with our data science team
- Embrace our company principles through inclusive, authentically-kind, and empathetic interactions with our team and our customers
And we think you would make a great Machine Learning Engineer if you have:
- A PhD in a related quantitative field (such as Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, or quantitative field), or 4+ years of industry experience building end-to-end productionalized models or doing software development on a data science team
- 4+ years of experience with production-level scripting in Python (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch), as well as processing, filtering, aggregating large quantities (millions of rows) with data querying languages (e.g. SQL, Hadoop/Hive), including expertise in production ML tools (e.g. Airflow, Spark, Databricks, Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, Snowflake, Cron) and data science infrastructure requirements
- Solid working knowledge of machine learning with the ability to drive clarity on the best modeling or other solution from R&D to implementation
- Demonstrable track record of dealing with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- A collaborative, collegial, eager to learn, and passion for impact attitude
- Authorization to work in the U.S. for any employer
At Shelf Engine, you will join an inclusive team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry for change in an untapped industry. Our founders are well versed in the food industry and have successfully built product and engineering teams. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but tackling key initiatives with large environmental impacts. We're a tight-knit and passionate team that is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.