Seattle, WA or Remote /
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting for food retailers like grocery stores, restaurants, and cafes across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste, which in turn drives profit for retailers, lowers costs for consumers, and reduces the negative ecological and social impacts of waste.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our engineering team. Data is the lifeblood of our operation, so this role will be instrumental in scaling the Shelf Engine business. The person in this role will have wide ranging responsibility for implementing, evolving and supporting data system processes that enable all aspects of the Shelf Engine team and business. Everyone from our data science team to our customer experience team to our sales team uses data, every day, to make informed business decisions.
This position is based in Seattle, WA, or remote.
As a Data Engineer at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Architect, implement and evolve a data architecture that supports all aspects of the Shelf Engine business, from machine learning to analysis, and sourcing of data from 1st and 3rd party sources
- Work cross functionally to deeply understand the business needs of data systems in widely varying contexts, and produce data sets that support these needs efficiently, and that operate reliably with low latency
- Own designing and building the infrastructure for sourcing various types of data from 3rd party sources
- Design and implement ELT/ETL processes from 1st and 3rd party sources targeting our data warehouse and data lake, scaling to TB of data.
- Produce new and maintain existing SQL views and other projections that are understandable and usable by various teams at Shelf who need data access for reporting, analysis and other business reasons
- Develop features and products for Shelf Engine to continue to reduce waste and inefficiency in the food industry
- Design and implement data quality assurance mechanisms to drive excellence in data provenance, latency, and reliability, and to allow visibility of data quality state to all stakeholders.
We think you’d be great at this role if you:
- Have 3+ years of experience in a data engineering or related role
- Have deep competency with SQL, Python or other data manipulation tools
- Have experience implementing ETL/ELT processes, understand the tooling landscape, and are cognizant of the tradeoffs between them
- Have experience designing projections that rearrange or combine various data sources into forms that are more useful for reporting and analysis (including e.g. denormalization)
- Experience with warehouse data systems, such as Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Azure Synapse/Azure SQL Data Warehouse etc, and with tools commonly used in data orchestration and processing such as Airflow, Kubernetes, Docker, Spark, DataBricks, and data lake technologies and patterns
- Experience with analytics and BI tools, we use Tableau so that would be a big plus
- Excited about working at a fast-paced and mission-driven environment
- Have a relentless drive to solve data problems - whether that be enabling some new scenario, or track down some esoteric transformation bug, you understand the value of data quality and strive for excellence in it
- Have deep empathy, for customers and for colleagues
- Have experience working on deep data problems and with data scientists (a big plus)
- Have Bachelor’s degree in a STEM related field (preferred)
- Are authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer
At Shelf Engine, you will join an inclusive team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry for change in an untapped industry. Our founders are well versed in the food industry and have successfully built product and engineering teams. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but tackling key initiatives with large environmental impacts. We're a tight-knit and passionate team that is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.