Senior Data Scientist
Seattle, WA or Remote /
Data Science /
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting for food retailers like grocery stores, restaurants, and cafes across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste, which in turn drives profit for retailers, lowers costs for consumers, and reduces the negative ecological and social impacts of waste.
Shelf Engine is searching for talented Senior Data Scientists to join our growing team and report directly to our Head of Data Science. In this role, you will research, build, launch, monitor, and develop sophisticated algorithms and solutions to solve complex problems for a rapidly evolving product. The goal is to help Shelf Engine develop and productionalize best-in-class machine learning models at-scale to achieve business objectives. You’ll accomplish this by applying your expertise and breadth of knowledge in statistics and machine learning to identify appropriate solutions, alongside your skills in code and productionalization to prototype, launch, and iterate. If you have a passion for solving complex problems, working collaboratively with an awesome set of data scientists and engineers, and making a huge social impact, this may be your dream job.
In this role, you will spearhead projects across the organization to determine what data we collect and how we use these in a complex modeling system, as well as which other sources we passively utilize to improve our day to day processes. Your strengths in statistics, machine learning, and quick adaptability to understand business requirements will directly impact the accuracy of our forecasting; striking a fine balance between reducing customers’ food waste, and avoiding understocking situations given the uncertainties of demand, pricing, promotions, vendor capacity, lead times, inventory, product nuances, and customer experience. Join us to solve critical problems related to any or all of the following areas: time series, forecasting, Bayesian modeling, machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, gradient boosting, large scale experimentation, causal inference, feature engineering, and optimization.
As a Senior Data Scientist at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Embrace our company principles through inclusive, authentically-kind, and empathetic interactions with our team and our customers
- Research, build, and launch machine learning and advanced statistical models to solve complex problems on big data
- Design, run, and analyze experiments to measure model performance, impact, and attribution
- Own the end-to-end experience with data, including querying, analysis, visualization, validation, and models; presenting findings/actionable insights to internal stakeholders
- Work cross-functionally (e.g. Product, Engineering, Operations, etc) to frame problems mathematically and within the business context to identify high impact opportunities, risks, and solutions to drive customer adoption and revenue growth
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of our data science capabilities and framework including modeling, performance monitoring, experimentation, and reporting
And we think you would make a great Senior Data Scientist if you have:
- A PhD in a related quantitative field (such as Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, or Economics), or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience outside of an academic setting building end-to-end productionalized models, ideally solving problems related to areas above on real world data
- 4+ years of experience with production-level scripting in Python (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch), as well as processing, filtering, aggregating large quantities (millions of rows) with data querying languages (e.g. SQL, Hadoop/Hive).
- Solid working knowledge of production ML tools (e.g. Airflow, Spark, Databricks, Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, Snowflake) and data science infrastructure requirements
- Expertise in statistics and machine learning with the ability to drive clarity on the best modeling or other solution from R&D to implementation
- Proven ability to think creatively, learn quickly, work independently, manage ambiguity, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Collaborate, collegial, eager to learn, and passion for impact
- Authorization to work in the U.S. for any employer
At Shelf Engine, you will join an inclusive team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry for change in an untapped industry. Our founders are well versed in the food industry and have successfully built product and engineering teams. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but tackling key initiatives with large environmental impacts. We're a tight-knit and passionate team that is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.