Software Engineer AI
Alexandria, VA /
Heron Systems – Software /
Full Time Employee
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies. Most recently, we acquired Heron Systems and Martin UAV as wholly owned subsidiaries of Shield AI. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems.
Heron Systems has developed a software factory for building and optimizing deep reinforcement learning-based solutions. The technology has drawn significant interest from DARPA, AFRL and the US Navy. We are currently working with these customers to investigate modern warfighting problems and develop prototype solutions. This position will support at least one of our ML teams to help build a solution while simultaneously advancing the technology more broadly.
What you’ll do:
Work in a small team of researchers, engineers, and subject matter experts.
Develop software libraries and developer tools that power our AI training factory.
Coordinate with customers and industry partners to meet real-world requirements.
Solve challenging and important problems.
Projects you might work on:
High performance computing. Make our algorithms faster and run across large distributed systems.
Autonomous dogfighting F-16s. Develop software tools for training, evaluation, and analysis of AI behaviors.
- Experience contributing to software projects with at least 10 contributors.
- Software development experience in Python or C++.
- Fast, efficient, effective problem-solving approach.
- Understanding numeric computing and related software libraries/frameworks.
- Exceptional collaborator and communicator.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, similar degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- USA citizenship. Non-citizens, even permanent residents, will not be considered.
- Current SECRET clearance: candidates without an active clearance must be able to obtain one.
- Up to date with modern software design patterns.
- Familiarity with Unix environments.
- Experience with multi-threaded/distributed computing, CUDA, test-driven development.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.