Financial Risk Management Director
San Diego, California /
Finance – Finance and Accounting /
Full Time Employee
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies. Most recently, we acquired Heron Systems and Martin UAV as wholly owned subsidiaries of Shield AI. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems.
In Finance, we work hand-in-hand with leaders across the company to ensure smooth, disciplined execution of strategic business objectives. Our team builds scalable, controlled processes and controls that enable our business to operate efficiently. We’re looking for a proven leader and detailed operator who has a blend of finance, operational and IT experience.
The Director, Financial Risk Management (FRM), will be responsible for building and implementing Shield AI’s Financial Risk Management strategy and capabilities to set the foundation and for a strong control environment. The director will partner with relevant cross-functional risk owners and partners, including external audit, to identify, mitigate and manage risk across the company. This person will have experience with risk management frameworks and project management techniques to drive development of an effective risk management program across the business. The position will also include providing training and advisory services to relevant business leaders to build the organization’s risk management and internal control capabilities. This is the first of such role for the company and will be accountable for evaluating risks across the organization, including enterprise, financial, operational, IT, compliance, strategic, third-party and other risk areas.
Projects you may work on:
- Develop Risk Management tools, programs, practices and policies to analyze and report risks, and to manage risks according to an appropriate risk management framework.
- Plan and manage execution of the risk assessment processes to identify, assess and monitor risks.
- Identify global risk and control owners and partner with them to evaluate, design, develop and implement effective and efficient financial, IT and operational controls.
- Advise management on integration of risk management into business operations and their roles in making risk management effective and sustainable. Develop and deliver risk awareness training to risk owners.
- Partner with key stakeholders to address risk and improve processes. Recommend remediation activities to address any material risk exposure. Coordinate and monitor remediation plans, supervising through to completion.
- Coordinate risk assessment and risk management activities with other second line functions (including Information Security, Compliance, etc) to optimize risk management activities across the organization.
- Project lead financial audits and support auditors in facilitating audits from a risk and controls perspective.
- Work with emerging business divisions to ensure an appropriate control environment is established.
- Assist stakeholders with implementing new processes and controls in response to changes to the business environment, such as: new product introduction, large capital investments or programs, changes in accounting standards, internal process changes or reorganization.
- Build and maintain flowcharts, narratives and control documentation for key financial, IT and operational processes.
- Perform management testing of controls and make suggestions to control owners to improve control efficiency and execution.
- Coordinate the completion of risk assessments, ensuring that compliance responsibilities are achieved.
- Provide appropriate risk management status and performance information to the CFO, Controller and other key stakeholders as relevant.
- Build a team with the requisite knowledge and capabilities to drive effective risk management across the organization.
- Bachelor's degree
- 10+ years of accounting with 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Big 4 accounting firm and/or internet/ technology industry experience
- Experience managing and remediating deficient financial controls
- Process management experience, including process redesign and optimization
- Solid experience with SOX key processes
- Advanced Technical knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting requirements, SOX requirements, including PCAOB Auditing Standards
- Experience with Deltek Costpoint a plus.
- Proven project management experience
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.