Sr. Manager/Director of User Experience Design (R2137)
Dallas Metro Area /
Technology Division – Design - UXD /
Full Time Employee
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As the Design Director for UXD, you’ll lead a growing team of product, UX, and UI designers, who are building intuitive and immersive interaction experiences with teams of autonomous robotic systems.
You will help delight our customers by applying your talents to the translation of complex human-robot interactions into elegant, productized design solutions.
You will work alongside a team devoted to excellence, committed to collaboration, and focused on helping users maximize the power of AI to protect service members, first responders, and civilians.
What you'll do
- Lead a multidisciplinary product UX design team, to effectively deliver design solutions, across several projects and products.
- Mentor team by establishing clear career paths, regular coaching, and proactively identifying future organizational needs.
- Ensure human centered design thinking is applied, to create cohesive and delightful experiences that span hardware, software and content.
- Deliver strategic and innovative UX experiences that align with business goals and target user needs across web, desktop, and mobile platforms.
- Create and characterize actionable processes leveraged by the UX Design team to execute in alignment with Engineering processes.
- Partner with Program Management and Engineering teams to solve for customer needs.
- Supporting R&D, technological story-telling projects.
- Work at the intersection of design and development to translate product requirements into design specifications, user journey maps and workflows.
- Ensure maintenance and growth of design system and UI consistency and quality across company platforms.
- Lead customer reviews, and usability events to gather feedback and data on design effectiveness.
- Conduct competitive and industry research to understand the needs, pain points, and use cases of our customers.
- Help to build a strong design culture within the organization.
- Challenge and disrupt the existing UX patterns and standards in the defense industry.
- 15 years of experience in product design, with at least 5 of those years leading design teams.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for user-centered design principles and Design Thinking methodologies.
- 2+ years of experience with UAVs and/or aviation
- Ability to work cross-functionally with ease.
- Experience designing user experiences, from mockups to functional prototypes.
- Keen eye for details, color use, typography, and consistency in design.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Creative and excited about working on products to further the Shield AI mission.
- Demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others.
- Alignment with our values.
- User Experience degree, Human Factors degree, Human Computer Interaction degree, portfolio showcasing design process for at least two products/projects
$147,669 - $231,074 a year
Total compensation: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
Onsite = 5 days/week in office
Hybrid = Minimum 3 days/week in office
Remote = Remote but able to come to the office as requested for business needs
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.