Test Operations Engineering Manager (R2106)
San Diego Metro Area /
Technology Division – Hivemind - Test /
Full Time Employee
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state-of-the-art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Test Operations team is a cross-functional group of engineers skilled across testing, software, robotics, and fixture prototyping. The team drives test execution of Hivemind software for all SAI product lines – they are responsible for verifying system requirements, validating operational performance, and demonstrating our product to customers. The team maintains our AI/HIL labs, manages test assets, and quickly produces prototypes that fulfill critical testing needs. The team is looking for an engineering manager to lead successful execution of the team’s charter, plus manage the career growth and performance of individuals on the team.
As the Test Operations team lead, you will work at the intersection of test engineering, robotics, avionics, and flight operations. You will work alongside Hivemind technical leads and test/system experts to establish test plans and prioritize test execution. You will build skills in test engineering, autonomy software, and integration testing. You will be responsible for strategic planning of resources, including hiring, training, and task prioritization for Test Operations team members.
We are looking for a leader, passionate about testing and making things happen. Ideally someone who has experience with flight test operations, test engineering, and robotics.
Projects you might work on:
- Drive flight test plans and execution for small air vehicles, such as Nova.
- Plan and execute customer facing flight demo events.
- Work with engineering to build and maintain a HIL lab for V-BAT software testing.
- Prototype or produce hardware for flight test operations in the lab or off-site.
- 3+ years of experience in a management or leadership position.
- Minimum 6 years of experience with B.S. in the STEM field (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics), a similar degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with Test Engineering practices and principals - including developing test plans, test procedures, and test reporting.
- Experience with cross functional projects that include software and hardware, ideally for products in robotics or aviation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You can make great plans to resource and roadmap projects to maximize business impact balanced with high quality execution.
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others.
- You are capable of managing cross-functional projects and achieving high quality execution.
- You are passionate and capable in managing team growth and performance management.
- Test planning
- Basic computer engineering skills (networking, bash scripts, software system troubleshooting)
- Python scripting
- Manned or Unmanned flight experience, including quadcopters
- Basic software programming skills (Linux shell, Python, C++)
- Software management tools (Git, Azure DevOps/Jira, Artifactory)
- Experience with robotics or avionics integration and related ecosystem(s)
- Experience with modern test management tools (SpiraTest, Jama, JIRA, ADO, Jazz, Cameo, DOORs, etc)
- Experience training and developing personnel.
$123,931 - $168,353 a year
Total compensation: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. Information on the benefits offered is here. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
Onsite = 5 days/week
Hybrid = Several days in the office
Remote = Remote but able to come to the office as requested for business needs
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.