Senior Staff Embedded Engineer
Dallas, TX /
Hivemind Edge – Hivemind Edge /
Full Time Employee
Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. Shield AI is a fast growing, venture-backed defense-technology company built around a team of proven executives, distinguished warfighters, and world-class AI engineers. Since 2018, Shield AI’s products and people have supported operations around the world with the US Department of Defense and our allies. Most recently, we acquired Heron Systems and Martin UAV as wholly owned subsidiaries of Shield AI. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Embedded Software team is an agile group of engineers focused on developing the software that merges hardware, operating systems and applications for cutting-edge Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). Embedded Software engineers work with electrical engineers, systems engineers, and the autonomy team to design and develop custom electronic boards and systems which support modern aerospace sensors, state-of-the-art UAV avionics, and groundbreaking Artificial Intelligence applications.
As a member of the Embedded Software team, you will be responsible for software bring up on custom electronic boards and systems, integration of new operating systems and writing of drivers for a variety of sensors and interfaces, designing and developing applications to provide flight control, navigation, vehicle health, and AI driven autonomous control of various robotic vehicles.
What you’ll do:
- Bring up new robotic platforms and related systems
- Write and modify kernel drivers for soft or hard real-time operating systems
- Develop bare-metal firmware for controlling flight critical components
- Create software for system diagnostics and testing
- Work with and modify internal software build systems
- Research, design, and implement state-of-the-art network centric software applications, taking ideas from conception to field deployment
Projects that you might work on:
- Integrate new operating system onto custom System-On-a-Module (SOM)
- Integrate 3rd party software onto existing multi-CPU and high-performance GPU hardware system
- Develop software and firmware to control robotic vehicles
- Integrate Shield AI Hivemind onto robotic vehicles
- Convert legacy bare-metal software to a RTOS based system
- Create new CI/CD pipelines with automated testing for embedded systems
- 10+ years experience
- Bachelors in CS, CE, or EE, or requisite experience
- Strong C/C++ background a must
- Linux Kernel or RTOS development and device trees
- Experience with Linux or RTOS bring up on new hardware
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Familiarity with writing thread-safe multi-threaded programs
- Familiarity with common debugging and profiling tools (e.g. gdb, valgrind, etc.)
- Familiarity with git, bash, Python
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.