Legal Counsel - North America
Shift Technology is looking for a talented Legal Counsel for its growing North American legal function!
This position wil be physically located in Boston, MA. We have a strong preference for candidates based or willing to relocate in our Boston, MA office.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel – North America, based in Paris, your job responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, reviewing, preparing, and negotiating all types of agreements with American and Canadian interlocutors (customer agreements, data processing agreements, NDAs, vendor agreements, etc.);
- Advising and providing legal support to Sales, Project, Product, and Data teams supporting the US and Canadian Markets;
- Providing guidance and support on intellectual property matters related to software and data;
- Retaining, managing, and working closely with external lawyers, as needed;
- Advising on and supporting the complicance efforts of the company with mandatory regulations (data privacy/security laws, anti-bribery laws, etc.)
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Have a law degree from an American university;
- Be licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one U.S. state, or in Canada;
- Have at least 3 years of relevant experience as an in-house lawyer or in a law firm in the USA;
- Have demonstrable experience and knowledge of US and/or Canadian law;
- Be able to work independently and autonomously;
- Be able to travel occasionally as needed, within the US and Canada and/or to our Paris headquarters
- Be a fluent English speaker.
An exceptional candidate will also:
- Have demonstrable legal experience in one of the areas of: intellectual property (both software and data), contracts (especially SaaS and software licensing); data privacy and security; and/or insurance laws and regulations.
- Have at least 5 years of experience working for an Insurtech service provider, an insurer, and/or a law firm supporting the activities of insurers or Insurtech service providers;
- Be a fluent speaker of French and/or Spanish
- 1/ Video Call with Recruiters
- 2/ Video Call with Senior Legal Counsel – North America
- 3/ Video Call with Legal team [note this will probably be 1-2 other lawyers]
- 4/ F2F Meeting with Senior Legal Counsel – North America [note this will be in Boston]
- 5/ Video Call or F2F Meeting with Head of Legal
Perks & Benefits
- Shift Technology offers attractive compensation and benefits, including company-paid individual healthcare, 401(k) match, generous paid vacation/holidays, and on-site fitness center.
Recognized by Wired as one of Paris’ hottest startups and proud member of the Next40, here at Shift Technology we are using advanced artificial intelligence and data science to help revolutionize insurance from the inside out. We started with fraud, where we've built a fast-growing business that is scaling globally; and now we're helping insurance companies to automate claims, all the way from the user experience to the payment processing.