San Francisco, CA
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We aim to bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role
Shift is looking for a highly talented and analytical Growth Associate as the go-to resource for all things strategy and execution. You will be a part of the broader effort to understand our customers, experiment, iterate and learn, optimize campaigns, and more to grow and engage the customer base. The Growth Team is data-driven, results-focused, and highly cross-functional, sitting at the intersection of marketing, product, data, and engineering. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated and has a strong technical and analytical background, but is also creative and can work independently to own and execute on a variety of initiatives. This is a great opportunity to grow your business, analytics, and product skill sets while having a substantial impact at a fast-growing company.
What you’ll do
- Work on cross-functional projects across Growth, Product, Design, Sales, Ops
- Analyze data from a variety of sources and distill into valuable insights and visualizations to drive performance forward
- Create and experiment with ideas to engage and bring in new customers and re-engage current users
- Build dashboards to dive into analytics and tracking to optimize performance and support the creation and iteration of product features
- Take an iterative data-driven approach to understand the efficacy of various paid and organic channels to grow and optimize them effectively
- Monitor, measure, and report on KPIs and campaign effectiveness of marketing channels in our business performance meetings
- Plan and develop compelling content to be used in multiple marketing channels such as Shift’s blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and email campaigns (including articles, statistics, infographics, imagery, video etc.)
- Ideate product features that drive growth and get customers to engage with our brand and services
- Support performance marketing day-to-day in maintaining, developing, and optimizing ROI-driven acquisition campaigns across online and offline channels
What we ask for
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience, preferably at a fast-paced startup
- Bachelor's or Master's degree (in Engineering, Computer Science or a quantitative field a plus)
- Intellectually curious, analytically minded, detailed oriented, eager to learn, highly organized, and ready to get your hands into action
- Ability to act autonomously and self-manage and deliver in a timely manner with relentless follow-through
- Comfort with fast-paced environment, tight deadlines, and changing priorities in a highly cross-functional environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in SQL
- Understanding of A/B testing concepts to increase engagement
Nice to haves
- Previous B2C growth or marketing experience, strategy consulting, or investment banking experience highly preferred
- Experience with driving customer growth with infrequent, high-ticket transactions (e.g., airline bookings, hotel bookings, real estate purchases) is a plus
- Hands-on experience with Google Analytics, Periscope, and Salesforce
- Paid marketing experience (Google, Facebook, etc.)
- Fluency in HTML and email marketing experience
- Familiarity with graphics, photography, and/or Photoshop experience
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.