Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
About the role
Shiru is looking for a bioinformatics scientist to accelerate our in-silico protein screening pipeline. You will apply your knowledge of protein sequence, structure, and function to identify candidate proteins with desired functional traits. In this role, you will build tools and pipelines to process and gain insights from multi-omics data. You will work in a highly cross functional environment and collaborate with wet lab scientists, engineers, and business analysts. As a key member of an early stage engineering team, you will wear many hats and have a great opportunity for growth.
You are an experienced researcher in protein engineering, therapeutics, or synthetic biology. You can analyze and interpret experimental data to drive decision making in both the wet and dry lab. You can leverage your statistical and analytical skills to aid laboratory experimental design. You have great communications skills and can present complex scientific concepts to multiple audiences.
- Build and maintain ETL pipelines to ingest data from a wide variety of public and proprietary sources.
- Create data pipelines to capture, process, and store experimental design and data from the lab.
- Design schemas that allow for efficient storage and retrieval of data.
- Create tools that enable the company to turn data into actionable knowledge.
- Collaborate with laboratory and data scientists to enable analytics and reporting of scientific data.
- Collaborate with software and machine learning engineers to enable quick and easy consumption of data.
- You write clean, modular, and maintainable code.
- You are a continual learner and drive innovation by understanding new frameworks and technologies.
- You are a self-starter, comfortable taking initiative without direct supervision.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to relay technical information to non-technical audiences.
- You expect your work to be meaningful and strive to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on the planet.
- BS/MS/PhD in Bioinformatics or a highly related discipline
- 5+ years of experience working across highly cross functional teams
- Expertise in Python and working with large datasets in Pandas/Jupyter
- Expertise with public genomic and protein datasets such as UniProt, PDB, and NCBI
- Expertise with standard protein sequence and structure bioinformatics tools
- Expertise in generating sequence-based protein features
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with workflow managers such as Airflow, Luigi, or Snakemake
- Experience working with distributed datasets (Spark, Dask)
- Proficiency with Unix, Git, and other command-line tools
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem a plus
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.