Laboratory & Facilities Manager
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
About the role
The successful candidate will play an instrumental role in R&D and Facilities Operations by developing and managing systems across EHS, Lab Management, Procurement, Product and Bioinformatics. The individual best suited for this role is a detail-oriented self-starter, and has demonstrated the ability to take the initiative, be assertive, and assume ownership of your work streams, while working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Manage Shiru’s lab safety systems, protocols, and documentation to ensure a safe working environment that meets regulatory compliance.
- Coordinate vendor relationships and lead purchasing activities for lab consumables, instruments, and services to ensure uninterrupted supply of products and services.
- Collaborate with R&D teams to schedule routine maintenance, calibrations, and upgrades of equipment under manufacturer specifications.
- Establish and maintain an asset management program in collaboration with Finance and R&D, to satisfy financial audits, depreciation, location tracking, and inventory management.
- Mobilize technicians, researchers, engineers, and contractors, ensuring compliance with relevant local, state, and federal requirements in terms of licenses, working conditions, regulations, and safety.
- Manage and develop lab operation and hygiene workflows, including media prep, cleaning and sterilization of equipment/parts, and general laboratory housekeeping.
- Act as point of contact for all laboratory facilities infrastructure.
- Associate’s Degree with 3+ years industry experience, or Bachelor’s Degree in a Life Science discipline and 1+ year experience as a Lab Assistant, Technician, or Associate.
- An in-depth understanding of general wet lab practices and sterile technique.
- Familiarity with industry certifications and processes.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to be an essential resource person for lab users and mentor lab technicians.
- Bring a detail-oriented approach to project management and lead projects from start to finish.
- Excellent organizational skills, including efficiently evaluating, prioritizing, and handling multiple and changing programs/projects/budgets and priorities through proactivity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to both scientific and non-scientific audiencesTeam player with "can-do attitude”.
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.