Machine Learning Researcher - Internship
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
You are a recent or soon to be graduate with experience using ML for applied or theoretical science. You are looking to gather valuable ML experience, learn good practices and improve your team-work skills in a fast-paced startup environment. You love designing and developing end-to-end ML pipelines. You are eager to learn and to test research hypotheses. You can’t wait to design task-specific neural networks to be tested on real world lab data.
- Conduct exploratory research in Machine Learning to help us solve protein discovery problems
- Summarize findings with detailed written reports and presentations
- Produce high impact research with potential to publish
- You are a self-starter, comfortable taking initiative without direct supervision
- You can own and execute a project from start to finish
- You are a continual learner and drive innovation by understanding new frameworks and technologies
- You are able to explore a new domain space via literature review
- PhD (final year or about to finish) in CS, CE, ML, Statistics, Mathematics or related fields.
- Experience with at least one ML framework (Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch)
- Applied ML tools to address a research question
- Experience with NLP, Graph Networks, or
- Bayesian Neural Networks a plus
- Experience with PyTorch-geometric, dgl, spektral or similar a plus
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.