Laboratory Operations Technician
Emeryville, CA /
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
About the role
We are looking for a motivated, detail-oriented Laboratory Operations Technician to join our Discovery team, who can carry out tasks to support our research laboratory. You will assist in maintaining the operation and safety of the lab, including performing regular routine maintenance on laboratory equipment while collaborating with cross functional teams to support sample management, inventory management, and compliance policies. In this role, you will work with a multidisciplinary team across protein chemistry, molecular biology, fermentation, and food science to deliver solutions for unmet laboratory needs and operation.
- Participate in laboratory organization and housekeeping, maintaining a clean and safe working environment
- Assist in purchasing activities for lab consumables, instruments, and services to ensure uninterrupted supply of products and services
- Assist installation, maintenance, calibration, and replacement of equipment
- Maintain accurate and organized records relating to instrument maintenance history, hazardous waste management, and laboratory safety
- Assist in evolving lab space allocations and expansions
- Uphold lab operational policies and procedures
- Maintain laboratories in compliance with company quality standards
- Clean and sterilize parts as required
- Associate's Degree and 1+ year industry experience as a Lab Assistant, Technician or Research Associate preferred
- Self starter who is able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to detail and safety conscious
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills needed for our collaborative environment
- Strong problem solving skills required
- Someone who is mechanically inclined and interested in learning new procedures and equipment
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.